At What Age are you going to let your DD Shave?

My daughter is 8 and she has hair under her armpits! She just started at a new school and is embarrassed to raise her hand in class if what she is wearing is gong to show her armpits. The other day she did and someone said "Eww she has armpit hair", and someone else said it was dirt and she didnt take a bath. I feel bad I dont want her to not raise her hand because of this. I am thinking of just shaving if off. What would you do?

kandy800

Asked by kandy800 at 10:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I guess I will assist them if they have hair at an early age and do it until they learn how to do it properly
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I have three grown girls . . . and when they started to have that (and totally no offense here) that european look, they started to shave, so about 10-12 years
    MsIrene05

Answer by MsIrene05 at 10:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• can you try that thing that buffs off the hair (smooth away.... i seen it on an infomercial, but they have it in stores too)? i would be afraid of cutting her to shave. i wouldn't let her shave until she was older like 12 i think.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If it really bothers her and I thought that she really did have a lot of hair I would let her shave. Different people mature at different times, so I think it is up to the parent. Just make sure she knows that once she starts shaving, she will always have to do it.
    jshimmy

Answer by jshimmy at 10:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I started when I went into 5th grade. I think it depends on when my DD gets enough hair to shave though
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:32 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Shave it. Once my daughter gets underarm hair, I'll let her shave it. Once her leg hair starts getting bad and bothering her, she can shave. Thankfully I've still got a few years before I have to worry about that, though lol.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 10:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Wow, that is early. I started shaving when I was 12. My daughters did when they were in Junior High. Before that we had very little hair. We didn't start our periods until 8th grade. I guess girls are maturing earlier now days,huh?
    gertie41

Answer by gertie41 at 10:50 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Whenever she gets self conscience about the hair. My mom wouldn't let me shave until I was 13 and I got made fun of all the time.
    mrsdinsmore

Answer by mrsdinsmore at 10:52 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i would probably just shave it. i think i started shaving when i was about 12, and my sister started shaving when she was 9. i guess we just got body hair at different ages.
    shoot4thestars

Answer by shoot4thestars at 10:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• When she is ready. I was 8 or 9 when I started. My Aunt is very very hairy and her mother (my grandmother) wouldn't let her shave til she started HS - She used to cry because of the bullying and whatnot she had because her legs were hairier than most men's... I would never put my kids through that. If she wants to shave, I'll show her how! It's basic hygiene, why would anyone make them wait?

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:42 PM on Sep. 21, 2010