My 3 yr old has a ton of ear wax. Any good easy ways to get rid of it?

jshimmy

Asked by jshimmy at 10:33 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Health

• You can try debrox, I think that's what it's called.
    jeanclaudia

Answer by jeanclaudia at 10:34 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Bring him to the doctor to have them flush out his ears. Ask about ear cleaners. There are liquids that can be squirted in the ear and sucked out with a nose sucker thingy. My son has TONS of ear wax and I have had to have the doctor clean them out. Chunks came out when they did it. His ears are just nasty!!

Answer by tyfry7496 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You can try flushing it out with water or using a wet wash cloth- that's what the dr. told me to try
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• is it making it so he can't hear clearly? because otherwise it's completely healthy and you shouldn't mess with it
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:35 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My daughter has alot of ear wax, once I took her to the docter for an ear infection and the docter had to dig out the wax before she could see the eardrum. She said it was perfectly normal, its just some people produce more ear wax than others. There's no need to get rid of it.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:36 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• warm olive oil will soften it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Debrox is good. I used it on my girls & still do every few months.
    eblstanford

Answer by eblstanford at 10:38 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• a doctor can really clean them out good. at that age I'd be afraid to use the candle wax remover (although for adults it can work really well)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:53 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You probably should see a doctor to find out the extent of the build up and how far in it is before you try conventional methods. Also make sure there is no foreign body in the ear canal. Usually debrox for a few days and then use a bulb syringe with warm water (NEVER COLD) to loosen the wax. I used to do earwax removal all the time when I was in the navy. Of course, you probably don't have access to an otoscope, 60 cc syringe, and a large bore IV catheter. But either way, if you go the debrox route flush, pull down and back on the earlobe and squirt away with a bulb syringe. Seriously, let a doctor look because sometimes wax is really hard and you are going to do more harm than good.
    Izsarejman

Answer by Izsarejman at 10:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Don't dig it out - use a little hydrogen peroxide to "bubble" it out.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 11:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010