You didn't know your dog was missing?

There is a really friendly dog that lives just down the street from me. I took her into the Dumb Friends League a few months ago since at the time I did not know who her owners were and she had no tags. Luckily, she was chipped. I told the DFL I would adopt her if the family didn't want her. Well, a month or so after that she came to visit again. This time, I noticed a garage door open with a light on at the end of the street so I walked with her down there to see if they were her owners or knew who was. Sure enough, it was them. I told them I had found her before and took her to the DFL. The DFL people even told her she had a home if they didn't want her because I would adopt. The man asked "How much would we have to pay you to het her off our hands?" Okay, maybe joking, maybe not, but he seemed serious. So since then she has shown up 3 more times at our house. It happened again tonight. I just don't know what to do or say.

ABusyBee

Asked by ABusyBee at 10:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Pets

• so the next time, just keep the dog. they obviously don't care...we had a pshyco neighbor who, to this day i still swear that she did it, dropped our dog off in a different neighborhood bc we let him out to run around....she was the type that the cops knew before her call came in, and wrote her off as a nutcase...
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 6:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• since the people seem nice when you return her, you could say that you really like her and would they seriously consider letting you adopt her. if they say no, there's not much you can do unless you think they're abusing her. but even then it would be not good because if you reported them and she got taken away, then you adopted her, they live just up the street so they would know what happened and might try to do something mean to you or the dog. i would just approach them nicely but seriously and see what they say about it.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• What is your question? My damn dogs go running off all the time. My neighbors let them into their house and give them treats. I keep telling them they don't need to give her treats. They do. They love my dog. So today I took their dog on a walk with my dogs, seems like the least I can do. So yeah my dog is missing all the time and my husband could care less.... He would say something like what your neighbor said.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 10:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I would ask the owners if you could adopt her, that you really enjoy her company when she visits. (that way it's not like you are berating them for thier obvious lack of care)
    xxhazeldovexx

Answer by xxhazeldovexx at 10:47 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• every time I take her back they are like “She was just here.” Or “Thanks again.” “We didn’t even notice she was gone.” She is all scraggly and dirty which doesn’t help when my mind already wonders how she is treated. I don’t want to call animal control or continue taking her to the DFL because then it could turn into a legal battle with the county and she could get taken away. God only knows if she would get another home, or euthanized. I couldn’t bare the thought of something happening to her. At least I know where she is. This was more of a rant but any advice would be helpful. I am just at a loss on this poor old dog.
    ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 10:40 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• They are not nice or appreciative. The way I worded it it sounds like they are, but they are very rude about it.

ABusyBee

Comment by ABusyBee (original poster) at 10:48 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't know what your neighborhood is like but my first dog was used to wandering, getting snacks, etc b/c that was what our life was like in the country. She has since passed on but my new dog does not have the same luxury. Perhaps approach your neighbors seriously but politely. If they were rude they probably didn't appreciate the fact that you basically took their dog to the pound and they had to break it out. Wandering dogs do not warrant that in my book. Mean dogs, untrainable dogs, nuisance dogs, yes. Personally I put up signs and keep the animal and generally the owner comes to light within a few days. If you see for sure the animal is being mistreated call the authorities. Otherwise, give the doggie yummy treats and you may adopt her without your neighbors consent.
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 12:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• just keep the dog, they won't notice!!
    pitbull4me

Answer by pitbull4me at 10:02 AM on Sep. 23, 2010