Reassurance and advise on how to deal with 1 yr old being sedated

Thursday my 14 month old will be going to get a heart echo done and they told me that he'll have to be sedated. I understand why it needs to be done but it still upsets me and scares me. Any mom out there that has had their 1 yr old sedated? How did you handle this? I know I'm going to cry. I'm very sensitive when it comes to my kids. They told me I will have to hold him while they do it and I just keep picturing me in my head him going limp and it upsets me even more.

mommy_of_two388

Asked by mommy_of_two388 at 10:44 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• When my son had surgery on his feet they had to put him to sleep. I was on the brink of tears. I got to sit with him until he fell asleep & I was there when he woke up, so it was like I never left. Luckily I had my SO there to keep me sane. It still makes me sat to think of it but he's perfectly fine now. Just have someone there with you to lend support. Pray and try to keep yourself busy to pass time. He'll be fine. Gl.
    reigndrops12689

Answer by reigndrops12689 at 10:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My neighbors son had to be sedated before and she said it was the hardst thing for her because of how he looked. the tubes and wires and stuff
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My son had to have surgery at 6 months old. It is hard but like you said you understand why, you just don't like it. I didn't like it either but accepted what I couldn't change. What I will tell you is that anesthesia these days is so much better than it ever was. They use just the amount needed and there are risks but still they have made it very safe. Follow the doctors orders for before the procedure and all should go well. Your child will bounce back quickly most likely. Hope this helps.
    Amanda3983

Answer by Amanda3983 at 11:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• my sister was when they did her xray on her chest she was 18 months she wasn't put to sleep but she was numbed through IV and she didn't move I forgot what it was called that they used.. She was really relaxed and just looked around..... She got her's done at primary childrens and they did a wonderful job and the doctors work really well with the kids.

( Do you have a sitter for kayla? She is more then welcome to come play with the boys if you don't.)
    Claudiomom

Answer by Claudiomom at 11:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't know about an echocardiogram. My son has this done every year, he was born with ASD (atrial septal defect), and mitral valve regurgitation. He has surgery for the ASD and they used the Amplatzer device. Sometimes, I'm not sure if they still have it, they used chloral hydrate when my son was a baby for a hearing test to see how the brain responds to sound. I do wish you luck. Don't worry yourself so much though, your child will sense that you're not yourself and will be less likely to cooperate. The only thing you should think about is that everything is okay. Don't worry unless something is wrong or you'll be worrying over nothing.
    amessageofhope

Answer by amessageofhope at 12:18 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yes my daughter had a minor surgery when she was about 15mths, it was surely very frightening relief is not even the word when they bought her out to me afterwards, its hard to watch them coming out of it also the symptoms were similar to someone being drunk, thats how the surgeon explained it, she was crying and disorientated but it only lasted 15 mins or so and she was fine, she didnt need any of the pain meds they have us afterward either.

If you have to hold him, it sounds like they arent completely putting him under, it sounds like he will be lightly sedated just to calm him down so he is relaxed. Otherwise I highly doubt they would have you in the room or holding him.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 1:03 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• AmiJanell. They WILL sedate him. Why would they lie to me about that? That said he'll get an IV and sedation. He needs to be still for for this and there is no way i hell a 14 month old will stay still for 30-45 minutes
    mommy_of_two388

Comment by mommy_of_two388 (original poster) at 11:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I never said anyone lied to you. I was just saying the type of sedation they use is nothing to worry about... it's not the same as when they get knocked out for surgery.... they just get super relaxed and go to sleep like they would any other time... just sleeping. I think I used the wrong words in my other post... I meant to say I don't think they are going to put him under (like they do in surgery) they will just make him relaxed and sleepy.
    And I just said that at the hospital I work they don't sedate for a simple ECHO, your hospital might, but mine doesn't.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 12:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't think they are going to put him to sleep, I doubt it for an echo (in fact I don't know WHY they would sedate just for an ECHO... it's like an ultrasound basically) But they will probably just give some "goofy juice" that makes them relax and not freak out... so he will stay still for it.

I'm a pediatrics RN and we don't sedate for ECHO's... we do sometimes for other tests like MRI... but it's conscious sedation, not when they put them to sleep... just make them relax.

AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 11:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010