Evil socialism or citizens helping their brothers and sisters?

I guess we should just round up our tired, our poor, and the wretched refuse of our teeming shores and ship them elsewhere.
Whatever happened to being a decent human being towards your fellow man? Where's our sense of compassion? What makes us think our life is worth any more than someone who hasn't been able to accomplish some of things we have.
Healthcare - Why should I pay for your healthcare? You don't deserve healthcare because you can't contribute as much to society as me. Is that what we want to be known for?
Taxing the rich - same basic principle as capping capitalism. If there are no restrictions on capitalism, only large corporations can grow leaving no room for smaller businesses. If the middle class is taxed and upper class is given breaks, it creates a greater divide where the rich get richer, leaving no opportunity for anyone else to become fortunate in the "land of opportunity."

What's your mentality?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:51 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I don't believe capitalism is necessarily evil and I don't believe capitalism is necessarily the greatest thing since sliced bread. Wouldn't it be wonderful if we could all care about each other and help take care of each other while we all did our part for society? Wow, how unrealistic does that sound?
    ceallaigh

Answer by ceallaigh at 10:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't think it's OK to take what others say in a forum and post your own question about it.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I don't think the government has the right to take my money and spend it willy-nilly in the name of 'helping others less fortunate'. If they backed off and left most of that money in my hands, I could use that money to help those who were truly less fortunate.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 11:26 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Why are people so much more willing to take the words of an American poem literally, as opposed to our Constitution, which is actually supposed to be law?

Oh yeah, because the words of Emma Lazarus feel nice.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:10 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i guess because it's on the statue of liberty, the thing that is the symbol of america

and what are you referring to in the constitution in particular?
    shirleyforsurly

Answer by shirleyforsurly at 12:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It might be more accurate to pose the question this way.

"Why do you expect me to pay for your healthcare? For years I have been industrious in school and hardworking at my jobs. I have sacrificed having fun or buying entertainments for the sake of financial well-being. Why do you deserve my paycheck more than my own children deserve it?"

See, compassion has NOTHING TO DO with this healthcare situation ! Our society's compassion is unsurpassed already - people without insurance GET MEDICAL ATTENTION - by law ! Don't be fooled by anyone who claims that we have uninsured people dying in the streets.

Opposition to the health care bill is based on the tyranny permeating it. The crushing financial burden is only the tip of the iceberg. Read it !
    For example, doctors & hospitals forbidden to update equipment - why? ... etc. etc.
    Unless you read it, you have no basis for judging those who oppose it.
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• "Taxing the rich - same basic principle as capping capitalism. If there are no restrictions on capitalism, only large corporations can grow leaving no room for smaller businesses. If the middle class is taxed and upper class is given breaks, it creates a greater divide where the rich get richer, leaving no opportunity for anyone else to become fortunate in the "land of opportunity."

There's a major misunderstanding of Capitalism here. It is the gov't restrictions which have caused the small businesses to have such a hard time. Only large corporations like Wal-Mart can withstand the crushing financial burdens of gov't regulations and taxes, because they can economize on all the accounting and extra staffers needed to handle them. And gov't regulations create the restrictions on getting loans, so small businesses suffer.

No one is proposing that we tax the middle class. But remember that the upper class WRITE THE PAYCHECKS !
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't feel that the government should be able to tell me what to do with the money I make or to tax me more because I make more. I don't think anyone should be taxed more than anyone else- I think our government needs to use the money from our taxes more wisely. For example: Stop sending billions of dollars to other countries when our own people are suffering- I'm not saying don't help; I'm saying take care of your own first. Stop allowing people here illegally to take advantage of programs like food stamps and medical care. Make it possible for local government to attach wages of people that don't pay their fines, parking tickets, etc- that money can be put to good use. Take the money that is seized from illegal dealings (drugs, etc) and put it back into the community. Educate people that receive cash assistance and the like so they can get jobs that pay more so they can be financially independent.
    Just some suggestions.
    Arwynne

Answer by Arwynne at 4:40 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Arwynne, you think everyone should be taxed the same regardless of earnings? That means the poor get poorer and the rich get richer if you did not know. i mean really you would either put such high taxes on the middle class and poor that they have nothing or tax the rich so little they feel no difference when at least the poor feels the difference from even the lowest tax hike.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 8:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Capitalism has absolutely nothing to do with charity. That's what giving to the poor and downtrodden is. Charity. You are in the minority if you say we are not a charitable country. We give to people in and out of our country.
    As for capitalism only allowing big business to flourish that's just plain stupid. You have nothing to show proof of that. How did all the smaller businesses get here? They are here and they are here to stay. There will always be smaller franchises and mom and pop businesses. You just can't deny it. You want everyone to be equal then everyone should be taxed teh same Period. You can't have it both ways and you don't really want it to be that way do you. You want the world given to the less fortunate and you want it taken from the people who have made something of their lives. Poor is not in your genes, it isn't inherited. An individual can always change their lives with a bit of perseverance
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2010