Are you an adult that once was a teen mom?

Sometimes when we are young, we make mistakes. I am not calling a child a mistake. The time you decided to engage in sex can be a mistake. Do you realize all the goals you have that could have been achieved much easier if you werent a mom? I am asking because I've been there in my life many years ago. I was an older teen mom. ALmost 20....yet I still wish I had waited to have sex. ALthough I took precautions, it isn't 100% fool proof. If I had known that your kids would need you past age 18, I would hae thought twice. Anyone else?

Godswk

Asked by Godswk at 10:54 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Relationships

• I wasn't a teen mom but I wish I would have waited a little longer before having a baby. I was only 21 and fresh out of college working a min wage job...now im 24 and going back to school for something different while work 30 hours a week and raising 2 toddlers because my hubby works 2nd shift so it's mostly on me
    Smiley001

Answer by Smiley001 at 10:57 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I was almost 20, and yes, I wish I had waited. Too late now..I have an awesome 14y/o.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Nope. I refuse to have regrets or "what ifs". Life has unfolded in this way because of my actions, not because of any mistakes- I own responsibility for my actions, but I do not regret them. Nor will I sit around wasting my time dreaming about how much easier things *could* have been if I had waited. Fact is that this is my life, and I only get one, so I might as well appreciate everything I have. No mistakes were made, just a different road taken. :)
    ObbyDobbie

Answer by ObbyDobbie at 10:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• yes and like you i wish i had known better. i didn't have a father and needed so much to be accepted by boys to feel love. i didn't think they were using me even though that is what they were doing. i really screwed up. more then i care to mention and somehow i didn't learn still. i wanted to be a horse jockey, then a teacher and other things. i couldn't do any of that when i had 2 then 3 kids to support and no real help with family. also it would of been nice had my second husband and i been each other first.
    melody77

Answer by melody77 at 10:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I was a mom at 19, 26 years ago. I'm not saying it was the easiest thing, but I am not saying it was the worst thing either. I became a grandma at the age of 40. I have loved my life and all that my kids brought to it. I often wonder about people who chose to start a family at my age. I love the fact that I can have just as much fun with my grandkids as I did with my children. There are days I am watching the grandkids and wonder how anyone could raise children at this stage in life. I love my freedom now though. I am still young enough to do anything I want.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 10:59 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I as well was an older teen mom but I was okay where I was in life. Yes I ad to put off college a couple of years but I made it and I'm glad I'm where I'm at.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:00 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i was 17 with my 1st baby...
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 11:01 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i was 21 when i had my son. yes i do wish i would of waited, more his sake and then mine but im still happy hes here. i love him so much, hes the best thing thats ever happened to me, i just hope that he feels the same when he grows up.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 11:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I was 17 when I had my oldest, and I don't regret anything. What kept me from finishing high school on time was a medical issue about 6 months after I had dd #1 that caused me to take a leave of absence from school, and graduate a year late. Other than that, I have done everything when I wanted to (went to college, even several colleges/majors before I figured out what I wanted to do with my life). The sex that created dd #1 wasn't a mistake either, even though I'm not with the guy anymore. She was created out of love, and I will always remember that.
    Tink0711

Answer by Tink0711 at 11:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I'm almost 21 and I had my son the day I turned 18. I've often thought about where I would be if I didn't have him in my life and honestly, I can't imagine it. I know I probably wouldn't be in college or have any goals because I didn't really have many before I got pregnant. Once I got pregnant I decided I wanted to be a sex-ed teacher because I wanted to help teach teens that they do have a choice, even though I was young when I had my son. To answer your question, I knew what could happen when I had sex. I just didn't think it would happen to me.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 11:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010