This one is for all hairstylists/hair masters :)

I have REALLY REALLY REALLY thick/heavy hair. I grew up getting my hair done at top salons and having tips thrown my way at every visit. I moved 4yrs ago and have yet to find a stylist who can understand my verbal/picture idea of whatever hairstyle I want. I am known to go home and cut my own hair once the stylist is done but I have always done that. Its just that lately, I cant get anyone to do a cut any where NEAR what I ask for. I grew my hair out and its in the middle if not past my mid back. I know my hair does amazing with razor cuts and has tons of texture and body and it DRINKS color. I always preface my hair type before asking for a cut or dye. Yet nobody listens. I have been trying to get my hair thinned out/layered for a yr now. I want med honey brown color with blonde and dark brown peekaboo highlights and a dark bottom part. ANYONE know of how else I can describe this to a stylist? CONT:

MommaWoods

Asked by MommaWoods at 10:58 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• I bring pictures to every appointment as well to give them a visual. I end up with a really long bottom layer, two layers and then like bush of layers on top. My color always ends up being red brown with burnt orange/blonde highlights. I have gone into a salon from honestly opening to close and then come back the next day to allow them to finish the coloring and STILL not gotten what I want. I know it doesnt take 32hrs to dye hair. I have had BOX dye lifted to white blonde countless times from my old stylists. I was never a stylist snob until 4yrs of having shitty hair has done me in.
    Also, I wanted to know if anyone knows of a really good curling iron for thicker hair? My hair holds curls well but most of the irons I have bought or used take like a minute of steady sitting rolled up to get a good curl! I love the big wave look and wondered about having a perm. wave put in my hair but dont really know if theyre worth it?
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 11:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Haha my sister just got her hair cut, and though it's cute, it looks nothing like the picture she brought in.

About the razor cut- I'm with you there. I always tell them I love how my hair looks when it's done with a razor, and I almost always have to mention it again when I see the stylist pick up her scissors. The response I get is usually, "Oh, yeah..." Haha.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 11:05 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I actually called a few of my older stylists and asked them what the deal was with people not using a razor and they told me it depends on their training and if they are comfortable with a razor cut. A lot of stylist have scars from using a razor. But if I request it and they dont do it, then they should say they dont do it, ya know?? Bugs me.
    MommaWoods

Comment by MommaWoods (original poster) at 11:09 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It's probably hard to get a haircut to look exactly like the picture.......
    sherribeare

Answer by sherribeare at 1:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010