jealous 2 year old!!!!!

my two year old daughter is showing significant signs of jealousy towards my 2 weeks old daughter. She throws unnecessary tantrums and she acts out everytime she sees me breastfeeding. is this type of jealousy normal?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 11:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Its completely normal, Children are very territorial, she isnt the baby anymore, and she feels it. Extra attention needs to be given to her at this time, she is acting out to get your attention as she feels that its "all about the baby". I know this is hard with a new born, but the best way to deal with it is to try to get her involved as much as possible explain that she is Mommy's big girl now and that you need her help, simple things like bringing you a diaper or wipes let her "help" bath baby, give her the towel to hold.....all things that make her feel special and included, its a big adjustment for a 2 year old esp when they cant rationalize or completely understand whats going on.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yes, it's very normal but it will get better with time. When you can, take a few minutes to do something special just with your 2yo, maybe while the baby's sleeping. And let her help you get a burp rag, get a baby wipe, etc. :) Every little bit that she feels involved/needed will help. GL mama!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 11:04 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My daughter was 2 when we had our second girl. We noticed a spike in the tantrums as well. I absolutely agree with Alice. Include her in EVERYTHING. Even during breastfeeding- Make that "read a book together" time or something and she can turn the pages for you. My daughter LOVED helping me change the baby's diapers too. Also, she loved to sit on the counter and "help" me give baby sister a bath in the sink.
    Biz1985

Answer by Biz1985 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010