Does anyone have a child with mental illness?

I think my 9 year old daughter has a mental illness, she has been doing odd things since she was little (which is too much to write here) but she is obsessive and angry one minute and sweet and calm the next,she HAS to be in control, repeats actions and becomes very attached to anyone who gives her attention and if she can't be with them or talk to them she panics and has a fit. She screams and pulls her hair and jerks her head side to side and talks jibberish when she get's like this and i fear she may be Schizophrenic..anyone have any advice? Please and thank you!

maringirl

Asked by maringirl at 10:18 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Kids' Health

• sounds like autism/aspergers symdrome to me.

schizophernic, she would be doing more damaging things.
    Anonymous

• I have no experience with this subject, but I can clearly see your reason for concern. I would most definitely take immediate actions towards finding out for sure what's going on. I would suggest first talking to her pediatrician. He/she can tell you what steps to take next, which psychiatrists/psychologists, etc. to contact, and will probably be of great help to you throughout the process. Good luck! Your family will be in my thoughts & prayers : )
    heather.huckaby

Answer by heather.huckaby at 10:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Have her evaluated. That way you can know what the problem is, perhaps there are specific treatments for her problem and she could be helped! Good luck to you Mom!
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 10:42 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• i have a son on the autism spectrum and my 5 year old daughter is being treated for anxiety and sleep problems. I also think that your daughter sounds like she could be on the autism spectrum. my son had tantrums like that when he was younger, they are called meltdowns, he was placed on a bipolar drug when he was 4 and he is 7 now and we have had 3 years with no tantrums, he is a much happier boy now.
    buzybuzybusy

Answer by buzybuzybusy at 6:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2008