Why do American pediatricians say that you have to wait until the baby is six months to intoduce him or her to solids? Why don't they talk to you about it before that time? What if your baby is ready for solids before six months? What do you do about it if it is your first child?

Svetlana98usa

Asked by Svetlana98usa at 11:03 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Only Americans? Stereotyping much? So you know for a fact that every other country doesn't do the same thing?
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:07 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Because if food has to be liquidy, they don't "need" it. Why make purees'? When they can sit unassisted, and can pick up and feed themselves, they are ready to eat. They DON"T need anything but breastmilk or formula until after a year. And food before one is just for practice anyway.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• You need to head your docters advice. People get in a hurry to give their baby solids to make them sleep through the night so that they can sleep through the night. When really your just going to upset your baby's stomach and probably make it more collicky. Back when people breast fed until their child was 2 or 3. Your baby is getting what it needs.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 11:08 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I agree OP, My DD was getting cereal at 4 WEEKS because she was not gaining weight. I listened to what my gut and my grandma told me. Hell she raised 4 kids helped raised 10 grandkids and at that time only 1 great grandchild(now 3 soon to be 4) My DD is now almost 3 and a healthy weight and height and has NO health problems!
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 11:12 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• What do you do if you don't make enough milk for the baby and don't want to supplement with formula? What did mothers do before formula when they stopped making enough milk?
    Svetlana98usa

Comment by Svetlana98usa (original poster) at 11:13 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• What do you do if you don't make enough milk for the baby and don't want to supplement with formula

THIS is an Old wives tale and a poor excuse women use to stop breast-feeding. Ask any doctor and they will tell you this
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:14 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Europe, Russia, and Brazil for sure introduce solids when the baby is four months old. Not stereotyping at all. I love America!!!
    Svetlana98usa

Comment by Svetlana98usa (original poster) at 11:16 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Europe, Russia, and Brazil

That's only 3 other countries.
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 11:17 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• If you supplement, your body stops making enough milk. If you feed more, your body will make more. And if you feel you need to formula feed, then you give more formula.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:18 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• My baby was ready earlier and my pediatrician DID talk to me about it earlier than six months.
    GingerMom33

Answer by GingerMom33 at 11:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2010