My husbands heritage.

My husband is Puerto Rican, White and Native American. My husband looks very Puerto Rican and although he wasn't brought up that way he strongly identifies himself as Puerto Rican. His biological parents split up when he was young and he was adopted and raised by his white grandparents. We now have a daughter, who also looks very Puerto Rican and I want to teach her that part of her heritage. My sister when I mentioned that I wanted to teach my daughter her Puerto Rican Heritage rolled her eyes, sighed and replied "why when he (my husband) isn't even Puerto Rican. I don't understand her attitude, and it really annoys me. What do you make of her attitude.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:21 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Relationships

• i wouldn't pay her any mind. if you want to teach your child about her ancestry, that's great. its a wide and wonderful world of mixed ethnicities we live in. i'm sure your sister isn't 100% of any one group of natives.
    thehairnazi

Answer by thehairnazi at 10:25 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Probably that your daughter is of mixed heritage. Your sister just can't understand why you would choose one blood over the other and focus on it.
    rhope4

Answer by rhope4 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• IDK. It's your kid, teach what you wish. I'm 23 years old and was born in PR, raised in Indiana. My parents are not PRican. My dad was in the Navy then. I think you should so that she at least knows and then can tell others when she gets older.

Believe it or not............I dont look Puerto Rican, Mexican, or of any spanish decent. I get the strangest looks when I need to show my birth certificate and then asked, "Oh, are you Mexican?"
    Ummmm, no, Im not! But if I was, I think I would of been offened! I just dont think alot of people have alot of knowledge on Puerto Rico.
    Anonymous

• >> i'm sure your sister isn't 100% of any one group of natives.>> AMEN! I am so tired of people trying to narrow down their race, when, in fact, none of us are pure anything! Ignore your sister, do what your heart tells you and teach your daughter whatever you want to about her heritage...you are her mother, your sister, is not.
    grovelady

Answer by grovelady at 10:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Um sorry im not trying to be biased but that kind of offends me because i am puerto rican myself, and why would anyone not be proud of that or any race for that matter. My husband is biracial himself hes mexican and white(alot of races mixed together) So my daughter is puerto rican , mexican and white but because i was raised to be proud of my culture, I teach my daughter about her PR background. his side od the family doesnt particularly like that either especially my MIL. She is his white side. but i think she feels like her ethnicity will be over looked. But My hubby wasnt raised like that, but i feel that he should at least teach about her mexican culture too. Either way she is going to know what she is. when u have a racially mixed child people dont understand U as the parent wanting to teach them to be proud of who they are.
    lovemybeba

Answer by lovemybeba at 10:34 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Don't worry about her. She can choose to honor her heritage or not, just like your hubby can. Raise your baby the way you want to.
    shmorris56

Answer by shmorris56 at 10:41 PM on Oct. 19, 2008