no tampons?

why are women advised not to wear tampons after giving birth to a baby? i had a c-section and i hate wearing these pads but my doctor says to not use tampons WHY?

newmommyjazz

Asked by newmommyjazz at 11:19 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Health

• Mostly because of the risk of bacteria and infection, from what I was told by my doctor (and from what I read). Your cervix takes time to close, so it's more likely to get an infection or for bacteria to form, which can spread to your uterus and stuff. Pads suck, but for the post-birth bleeding, they're a necessity.
    Mrs.BAT

Answer by Mrs.BAT at 11:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Because your cervix is still open and using a tampon introduces bacteria into the vaginal track and can cause to an infection
    Maureen-MD

Answer by Maureen-MD at 11:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Because your insides are like a big gaping wound and tampons hold all that nasty germy blood in there and could cause you to develop an infection.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It has something to do with having an open wound from the placenta discharging..(or something) and the tampon makes it more lilkely to get infected...at least that's how I understood it when they explained it to me!
    OBImomma

Answer by OBImomma at 11:22 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• Ugh..I prefer pads..that nastiness won't stay inside me. I prefer to have it completely expel my body.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:28 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• OMG! I learned this lesson the hard way. I've NO idea why this would be the case... but it HURT! I thought "Oh it's been long enough, it's no big deal" (I forget how far post I was, at least 4+ weeks). I didn't end up with any kind of infection or anything like that, but even the small tampon felt too big and ... well I don't know how to describe it (it's been a while too)... have you ever tried removing a tampon that's dry? and it's uncomfortable? Well... kind of like that, but worse... but it wasn't dry, so I don't know why it was like that.

Be patient, deal with the diaper/mattress/pad.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:43 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• i love tampons...pads give me an ass burn...lol
    iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 11:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• I D K but you need to allow the complete flushing of the extra nutrients that fed your baby. Here is the thing you can deal with anything for a few weeks.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 11:21 PM on Sep. 21, 2010

• It's because until your cervix closes you can end up with an infection or even chemical poisoning from a tampon.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 PM on Sep. 21, 2010