did your child go from public school to homeschool?or(unschool)?

if so, how did you go about doing that?

USAF.Wife

Asked by USAF.Wife at 11:30 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in

• I did this last year after the school took my 8 and 9 yr old dd's to court for truancy when they had chicken pox. We have HS b4 so it wasn't that big of a deal - we were going to begin HS this fall but we moved it up. First, make sure that you find each and every rule/law of what you need to do for your state....get the documents, letters, forms or whatever you need completed and to the appropriate places. I personally deliver them and have the secretary taking the paperwork sign it for me to have a record of who recvd it and when. Then pick a date and stop sending your kid(s) to that boring place and stay home and have FUN!! Good luck!HTH
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:42 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We did when I got out of Jr. High. We called the school board to find out what we needed to do for our state. But when we moved out of state we didn't bother with it.
    Sarasmoonflower

Answer by Sarasmoonflower at 7:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i live in WV. still trying to find all the laws/requirements etc....
    USAF.Wife

Comment by USAF.Wife (original poster) at 8:51 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• DD is curently being homeschooled. Right now I doi not have to do anything. According to our state, she will not have to be enrolled untill fall of 2011. However, I started kindergarten with herlast January. Check out HSLDA.org for your state.
    RheaF

Answer by RheaF at 10:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• thnx
    USAF.Wife

Comment by USAF.Wife (original poster) at 5:01 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My kids have always been unschooled. I did let my 6 year old do VPK (voluntary pre-k) when he was 4, but he didn't really get much out of it, and so I decided not to even bother with it for my little guy this year. We love the unschooling, and I can't imagine living any other way.
    my2.5boys

Answer by my2.5boys at 6:51 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My DD was in public school until 9th. grade which is high school. Then she E-schooled. It's where you do your work online and some books. They send you everything you need, computer, printer, etc. They even pay your Internet bill. We really like it. It worked out well for her she is chronicallyill and can do work at her pace. There are no set times of the day. There are many E-schools out there. Check and see if there are any in your area. They need not be real close to you, just have to be available to your state. Try googling online schools. Hope this helps.

Janet

Answer by Janet at 3:07 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• unschooling would be so perfect (learning from experiance at their own pace, not just what theyre forced to learn from books). i am leaning more towards that the more i hear about it.....
    USAF.Wife

Comment by USAF.Wife (original poster) at 3:14 PM on Sep. 23, 2010

• For the kids that were already IN public school, I just gave the school a letter of intent to homeschool. I had to unschool the older one (5th grade) because he'd already developed a huge dislike and resentment for anything resembling structured schooling. He is now a successful young man.
    michiganmom116

Answer by michiganmom116 at 5:20 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I know in Texas, if they've been enrolled in public school and the parent decides to Homeschool, they have to sign withdrawal/intent to Homeschool paperwork or else the state can track that student as not being enrolled in school and file truancy. If they've never been enrolled in public school, I believe the state has no way of tracking them. We only keep track of the ones that have enrolled with us.
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 2:24 PM on Sep. 25, 2010