How Can I lose Weight & Exercise?

I am around 50 lbs overweight, and I have a pin in my ankle which prevents me from doing a lot of walking and ANY running. I don't live near a gym, and I don't have any exercise equiptment othan than an exercise ball. My heart is not looking good from all of the access fat around it, and was told I had to lose as much weight as I can in order to get better.

I am on a limited income budget (I know we all are) so buying fresh produce right now is kind of hard. I don't even live near a farmers market. I try to buy 'no sugar added' items, as well as 'reduced fat, low sodium, and low carb') I'm type 1 diabetic.

Any suggestions on weight loss and exercises I can do for maximun benifits? Thanks.

misskrissie

Asked by misskrissie at 11:56 PM on Sep. 21, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• you dont need to go to a farmers market to get produce. apples, bananas, nectarines, lettuce.. those are all pretty cheap. very cheap actually. pineapples in there own natural juice (in a can) are like 89 cents a can and very healthy and not fattening. frozen veggies are always on sale and are healthier then the fresh ones. chicken is also very cheap, look for the ones on sale - thats a very healthy lean protein. tuna is cheap also. you should eat all of those things. drink as much water as possible.. and you need to exercise as much as you can. the biggest loser DVD's are like 13 bucks a peice. you should do yoga also, it will help your injury. biggest loser makes a yoga DVD. sorry sweetie, but i dont wanna hear your excuses as to why you cant work out and diet. do you wanna be healthy and skinny or not?? if you do, then shut up and do it already. if you keep making excuses your never gonna do it
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• and the no sugar items really dont do much, they are the same shit just like 5 grams less sugar or smaller portioned. what are you buying no sugar chocolate pudding? your not gonna loose weight eating chocolate pudding. give yourself one cheat day a week though.
    PURPULbutterfly

Answer by PURPULbutterfly at 12:09 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Um....thanks for the reply, but you got a little judgemental and rude towards the end there... I was asking for help not an attack.
    misskrissie

Comment by misskrissie (original poster) at 12:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would talk to your doctor and see if she/he can recommend a registered dietitian to help you with working toward a healthier diet. Also, it would be good to discuss your options for exercise with a doctor since you have other health issues. If your doctor thinks it would help, I do pilates and have seen great results with that. I have issues with my ankle and just recently re-injured it, so I have to find fairly low-impact things to do. I found a pilates dvd at Target or Wal-Mart, i think for less than $20.
    anime_mom619

Answer by anime_mom619 at 12:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• There are a lot of exercises you can do at home, without a gym to tone up. Think sit ups, push ups (on your knees), leg lifts, twists, stretches, cat pose(arch your back, extend your legs). Think the floor exercises from the Jane Fonda videos! (remember those!).

It sounds like you are feeling stuck because of your illness and injury, think creatively. It has to be something that you can either distract yourself while you are doing it (think watching TV while on the treadmill or bike, or having fun while doing it, (fun music, dance or motivational speakers - which is what most DVDs do). Either way, you need to change how you are thinking about it so you WANT to do it, not HAVE to do it. It's an investment in yourself. You will feel better once you get into the program about 4-6 weeks down the road. Start slowly so you don't hate it and don't injure yourself.
    Good Luck!
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 8:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm not sure what kind of pins you've got in your ankle, but my husband has some from surgery he had as an early teen. He says cycling is MUCH easier on his ankles than a lot of other exercise. You might be able to find a cheap bike at a local thrift store or through craigslist. It's great exercise and good transportation (may help save some gas $ too). Swimming is also great exercise and really low impact if that's an option for you.

Tracking calories and nutrition has been a HUGE help for me. I really like Sparkpeople. There are some foods that you may think are healthy but are surprisingly high calorie content. It can be a real eye opener, and help identify problem areas in the diet to actually track everything you eat.

coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 11:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with anime mom. Talk to your Dr first and see what he/she recommends for you to do. I have pins and screws in my ankle and I just had surgery a few months ago on my ankle, my orthopedic surgeon didn't limit me on what I can do. I do a lot of cardio, but I take breaks when my ankle starts hurting. If it hurts too bad the next day I do exercises that doesn't put too much strain on my ankle.
    PoisonousBlonde

Answer by PoisonousBlonde at 11:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• have you tried growing your own veggies? once you get it going..it saves money and you know its organic and fresh.

moki1984

Answer by moki1984 at 3:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• get frozen fruits then you can make them last and use what you need. start with something simple like walking 30min then 1hr then go to runnin or workout that works for you gl
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 8:14 PM on Sep. 30, 2010