Socialism vs Chistianity (since there's so much talk of socialism)

Has anyone ever thought about the relationship between socialism and Christianity?

shirleyforsurly

Asked by shirleyforsurly at 12:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• There isn't one. Christ advocated for giving with a willing heart. He didn't advocate for the government taking away from one and giving to another.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Prove all things; that hold fast which is good.

Edward R. Hartman or Paul???

Christian Socialism versus economic reality???
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:10 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I hate the government raping everyday citizens while at the same time legislating in favor of their own personal pocketbooks.

I also think many claim to be hefty charitable contributors when in reality, they are not.
    The economy has affected the lifestyles of many, no doubt. Contributions to most charitable organizations are down.

Sisteract

Answer by Sisteract at 12:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Don't get me wrong with what I'm about to post, I'm not saying I'm a believer in true socialism

Speaking from a sociological perspective (and this is just one small example), would we as a society pay for every child to receive a free education on our own? Is that a good benefit to have currently? Is it a necessity now? I agree there are many frivolous ways the government abuses tax money, but aren't there some ways in which society benefits as a whole from it?
    shirleyforsurly

Comment by shirleyforsurly (original poster) at 12:50 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If I had every penny of the property tax that I pay that goes to fund the public schools, I could afford to send my children to a good private school. Now, if I didn't own a home because I couldn't afford the extra expenses like insurance, property tax, and maintenance, I don't know how I would answer your question.

And, as I've said before, I don't have issue paying reasonable taxes for the commonly (as in we all use them together) used services like military, police, firemen, roads, schools, libraries, parks.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 12:59 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Relationship between Socialism and Christianity.

Well, one thing we know for sure about Christ is that He emphasized developing a strong ego. Not the negative selfish "ego", but the firm Self which one develops with self-mastery. Christ demanded that we develop that centered moral Self, and that we revere every person. This was NEW in the world. Everybody was kind to their "own people", but it was expected that strangers were not subject to the same. This was true between the several cultures of the time, as well as of the Biblical situation of "Jews and Gentiles". But Christ demanded that we learn to view ALL fellow men as brothers.

Christ demands utter respect for the individual; Christ's code is the basis for those "unalienable rights".

Socialism assigns to the state the right to dictate to anybody under its control. The "collective" and "the greater good" are put in a higher priority than the individual.

BIG difference
    waldorfmom

Answer by waldorfmom at 1:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• There is a strong connection between Christianity and socialism. The Christian Socialists were strong influences during the formative years of the Social Democratic and labour movements in some European ccountries . You may complain about the government but there has never been a socialist one in the USA . Most European countries have had or have socialist governments and are none the worse for it . I do not include communist givernments which some of you may equate with ' socialist ' , as the socialist ones i refer to are democratically elected.
    janet116

Answer by janet116 at 3:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Thessalonians II

10For even when we were with you, we gave you this rule: "If a man will not work, he shall not eat."

11We hear that some among you are idle. They are not busy; they are busybodies.

14 If anyone does not obey our instruction in this letter, take special note of him. Do not associate with him, in order that he may feel ashamed.

mustbeGRACE

Answer by mustbeGRACE at 4:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Wow grace thats harsh, I guess thats why so many people on here don't agree with your views. Hypocritical beliefs and judging are what keep lots of people away from christianity.
    Jenna66

Answer by Jenna66 at 8:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well, the first Christan communities had common property.... I think the two concepts, while not identical, are at least compatible....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 8:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2010