How do you talk to a 4 year old about what breast are in a respectful manner?

I have a 4 year old boy, I am currently pregnant and planning to breastfeed. The other day he pointed at my breast and asked what they were. Of course I froze because I didn't have a clue of what to say. I want to have a simple explanation without sending him in the wrong direction in the future.

mary_jane_213

Asked by mary_jane_213 at 12:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• They are for feeding babies. That is all that is required. It won't affect him to know that. He is only 4 after all.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 12:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well "what's that?" doesn't always require an explanation. Sometimes it simply requires "they're breasts". Especially with little kids, the simplest answer is often what they're looking for. If he asks follow-up questions, answer them honestly and simply.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:32 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with previous poster, just be honest and age appropriate. They are called breasts, and when he see's you feeding the baby then you can explain that they have milk to feed the baby. Explain it like you would any other part of the body.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with all the above. My daughter was born in Nov, and my son was due to turn 3 in December. when she was first home, we were at the store. My mom who was visiting ran in and I was in the car with both of them. My daughter started to cry. My son God Love Him said she must be hungry. As he was lifting up his shirt, he said let me feed her. then I explained only mommies could feed the babies. It is such a fond memory.
    moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 12:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yes, just breasts.
    Its the answer to the question.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i would just be honest and say they are breasts and if he asks more or wants to know more than I would tell him that he has a chest also but its different because you have milk and he doesnt the simpler the better
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 5:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010