Celebrating a death

Has anyone actually been happy over the death of someone? My SD's mother died and I was tickled mostly because my DH never got to see her, BM kept her away from DH so now we have her and will finish raising her till she's 18 or longer if she goes to college. She is 16 and for me being a SM is not easy but I'm sooooo glad that BM died.

Altotwo

Asked by Altotwo at 12:08 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Relationships

• Not really. I only hope they make it to their destination and that it is a pleasant one.
    But this person seemed to have effected you directly so I guess you can feel that way.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We all partied when my grandmother died (dad's mom). Not because we didn't like her (though my relationship with her wasn't so stellar) but because she was religious, and in her belief system once she died she'd be reunited with grandpa (who died when I was really little, I never knew him). So we all partied to celebrate her life, rather than lament her death.
    coder_chick

Answer by coder_chick at 12:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I am sorry, but that is awful! Your SD is really going through such a hard time. I think how you feel is selfish and very hurtful. The courts would've helped you have court ORDERED visits. Give her hugs and love, she will need it
    NicolesMommy

Answer by NicolesMommy at 12:44 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think that that is pretty digusting reaction. You should love your step daughter enough not to celebrate anything that would hurt her. I do not dislike anyone enough to celebrate when they die.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:48 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• There was a girl in high school who made my life hell, actually it started in middle school. When she died in a horrible wreck I was not happy that she died. What she did was bad, but to rejoice in someone's death, that is just wrong. No matter the circumstances! Especially when I'm sure it's causing the child so much pain, I hope you don't share your feelings with her!
    Austinsmom35

Answer by Austinsmom35 at 4:33 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We had CO visitations, paid CS and never were allowed to see the child. No, I did not celebrate in front of her. I do have enough couth to know that this is my internal reaction. BM was really unpleasant and refused to be cooperative for DH to see his daughter. She was hateful and spiteful. She abused and neglected SD on top of everything. I am sorry BM is dead but happy at the same time because we can now give SD what she needs and that is a better education and a loving home with people who care for her deeply. We put SD first in all our decisions. SD is doing well with her grief of her mother and we have allowed her to feel. She is also in therapy for it. We have totally taken good care of SD. Just thought I'd update those who think I'm horrible for my feelings.
    Altotwo

Comment by Altotwo (original poster) at 2:04 AM on Sep. 23, 2010