Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

4 Bumps

child ate EXLAX

alright mommies my wonderful 4 year old ate some exlax. I'm not sure how many. I'm not sure how many were in the box but now there are only 4 left. I'm pretty sure he ate anywhere between 2 and 6 pieces. He's sleeping soundly now but I'm worried. I called our local ER and they said just to keep a close eye on him and he'll probably get the runs...yay! my question is though he has problems with constipation and hasnt gone since last Wednesday. Do you think he may be ok?? I'm just worried. He's never done anything like that before.

Answer Question
 
travisnowensmom

Asked by travisnowensmom at 12:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

Level 14 (1,379 Credits)
Answers (9)
  • awwe! My son did this! Little stinker! Don't worry, everything will come out ok! haha! OK. Sorry couldn't help it! But really, he will be fine, ex lax uses a form of condensed waxes and oils to produce a bowel movement. It's not fun, but he'll be ok! Promise!
    Musicmom80

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • i have a feeling the next 24 hours are going to be pretty "shitty" ahaha dang I'm good
    travisnowensmom

    Comment by travisnowensmom (original poster) at 12:32 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • haha! There ya go!
    Musicmom80

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • I would call your pediatrician, just to let them know what happened and if there is anything to watch for.. He is going to get dehydrated from an adult laxative. So be sure to keep him H20. He is probably going to get cramps from the exlax too, so be ready for that as well. Hope he is feeling better soon
    beyondhopes

    Answer by beyondhopes at 12:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Yep definitley keep him hydrated!
    Musicmom80

    Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:44 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • One of my sons ate ex lax when he was about 2. He pooped non-stop for 4 days. Man, was his little butt red! I did call poison control when I figured out what he'd done & they just told me to make sure he was getting enough to drink so he didnt get dehydrated & just let it run its course.
    lisa89j

    Answer by lisa89j at 12:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • All of the above. There's no "medication" in ex-lax that can hurt him, but he will run the risk of dehydration. Lots of water, lots of toilet paper. Good luck!
    mainemusicmaker

    Answer by mainemusicmaker at 6:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • give him plenty of fluids and just keep an eye on him
    tonyalynn

    Answer by tonyalynn at 10:28 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • All good advice. Way to go moms.
    monamisner

    Answer by monamisner at 2:36 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.
close Join now to connect to
other members!
Connect with Facebook or Sign Up Using Email

Already Joined? LOG IN