Would you apply for public assistance?

If you had 6 kids, your husband had been laid off for a year, and you were the only one who could work-but couldn't because of health reasons, would you apply for public assistance?

Obviously this is my situation, but I don't know what to do. I will likely be off work for at least another 6-8 weeks....we are so broke it isn't even funny, we are down to half a roll of toilet paper and no money to buy more. I feel trashy going to get assistance though....what would you do?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• You should go now. and with six kids by now the toilet paper is probably gone.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 12:55 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Im in a similar situation, you should NOT feel trashy at all, it takes a lot of courage to admit that you need help! you have to think about your family and what they need and not be embarased to ask for help!! Good luck with everything :)
    giraffegrl1980

Answer by giraffegrl1980 at 4:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yes!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i would. i would also tell hubby to get a new job!
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 12:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yep. I would not allow my kids to suffer. That's what it's there for! Get your family better! Don't feel bad. Why is it trashy? This is what it was made for. I've been there, and I can say it was very brief, and as soon as I didn't need it, I was off ASAP! Good Luck! Keep your head up.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:32 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Um...its not trashy at all. This is the reason there is assistance...to assist. Good luck.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Go get help, there should be no shame in that w/your situation, i understand how u feel, i guess because so many pple take advantage of the system n all,but go get it for your kids.Gl!
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 12:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yes, I would have done it before it got this bad. Good Luck!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would and you should too. Don't feel trashy, thats what it's there for.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 12:44 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• you do what you need to do and do not give a rats behind what others will think
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010