Did you realize.......

at the beginning of the school year when they send papers home for the parents to fill out, that there was one that parents had to sign to give the school permission to do drug testing on your child whenever they wanted to during the school year? What do you think about this? This was high school.

amessageofhope

Asked by amessageofhope at 12:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• I don't have a problem with it, mostly because drugs are a very serious problem in my area and I do NOT trust parents to keep their kids off drugs. Half the parents are users themselves. I figure if it helps keep my kid safe, then I'm cool with it.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• There was no such paper for us. I actually read through everything, very boring! But we did not get this, but if they asked me to sign it I would ask them a ton of questions!
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think its a good idea.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm actually good with that. in my six year olds school system, they wanted permission to put your childs information on the internet... THAT i would not sign on to...
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 12:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I signed papers twice for two teens, no drug test papers in the bunch
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 12:42 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'd rather be a parent to my kid instead of letting a school try and do what they think is best for my child.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 1:21 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• oh wow i would NOT let the school have that kind of power...i am the parent not them...crazy my kids r little bit stil my kids go to an A rated school...

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 1:40 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We don't have that in our school. I say some people like to let the school take care of their parenting responsibilities.
    mmmegan38

Answer by mmmegan38 at 12:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I wouldn't sign. That is an invasion of privacy. We are turning into a government run state. every liberty we lose is hell to get back. That is like saying they could search every purse on a bus. they say.... If we don't have anything to hide, it should be ok. We should never have to prove that we are innocent. Our founding fathers saw where abuses to these powers led. Maybe salt is illegal, because it isn't good for you, lets search your purse for salt. No Thanks. If my kids were acting strange and needed to displicined, or someone thought they were on drugs, tell me. Plus only pot stays in your system for a long time. The really bad stuff meth, coke, heroin, leaves quickly. So if you think about it, this message tells the kids do the hard stuff so you won't get caught.

moneymagnetmom

Answer by moneymagnetmom at 12:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with mmmegan38. I think people rely on the school system too much for basic parental concerns. If I think my child needs a drug test, I will do so myself. Unless it's for sports or something, we had that in highschool, where you test for steroids and all that.
    Musicmom80

Answer by Musicmom80 at 12:42 AM on Sep. 22, 2010