I'm an insomniac! I hate it! Any ideas to help me sleep?

My body is sore, I'm exhausted, yet every night I can't sleep until 1!!! I am tired but I never rest. I'm up at 7am with my kids, and I do it all over again. I know it's not healthy. I have tried benadryl, sleep aid, baths etc. Help me you nighthawks!!

Musicmom80

Asked by Musicmom80 at 12:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Health

• I take naps during the day when I am tired. That way there I am not too tired to fall asleep. My naps are usually 15-20 minutes.
    tryin2BGOOD

Answer by tryin2BGOOD at 12:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Good luck! Although I have to say that 6 hours of sleep is a lot for me. I get about 4 hours typically. I have no suggestions. Although some have siad to try melatonin, it did not work for me but you should try it.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 12:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• haha! I'm going to bed! Nite! :)
    Musicmom80

Comment by Musicmom80 (original poster) at 12:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• What do you think is the reason? Have you had this problem a long time or just recently? My husband used to say he had this problem in the past. This is when he didn't have a routine and drank tons of soda. Now that he has a routine and drinks less caffeine, it's really helped him. We also have invested in a really good mattress and don't keep a tv in our bedroom anymore and he hasn't had problems any more. Usually when I can't sleep, it's because I'm upset or worried. I get up and write in my journal to get it all out and then can get to sleep. Good luck to you. Keep trying different things until you find what works for you. Sleep is so important.
    AzAngie

Answer by AzAngie at 12:55 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have always been an insomniac, but I have anxiety disorder and that's why. These things help me wind down and go to bed: video games, crossword puzzles, sudoku puzzles, listening to a book on tape, laying in bed and texting my friends, and sometimes a shot of rum doesn't hurt either, lol. Basically anything that keeps my brain occupied for a while helps me relax and let go of the anxious thoughts. Making lists of the stuff that's in my head helps too - sometimes I am worried about something specific, and in that case I will write it out. If I am worried about the next day and all I have to do, I will write a detailed to-do list so I know I don't forget anything.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:03 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• While you are lying in bed start yawning...and I mean real deep yawns. Try to repeat 30 times...you will fall asleep before 30, guaranteed!
    BluDog

Answer by BluDog at 1:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• im an insomniac also as you can see its 4am and I'm online lol but maybe try taking a bath with lavender, eating a peanut butter sandwich before bed , I was reading that peanut butter makes you sleepy so might wanna give that a try or work out before bed you have to do something that will get your body tired in order to sleep thats what i do either i wash dishes or fold the babies clothes I do anything that will exhaust me mentally then my body usually follows good luck
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 4:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010