two year old son dosnt listion well

i have a two year old son listen skills are not that good he gose to our church nusury and they told me that he dosnt liston to well i have the same problem at home i have to say things more then once before he dose it and i even try time outs i need some advice from moms on how to get a two year old boy to lastion

lovelymomma953

Asked by lovelymomma953 at 12:44 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I think its completely normal for a 2 year old not to have outstanding listening skills. This is the time that they are learning communication skills.......and also its a age where they test the boundaries. Keep working with him on listening and help him comprehend what your saying, its all about being consistant with him. I think you need to remind the ladies at nursery that he is only 2, if they have attented nursery for any length of time you would think they would be more understanding of a 2 year old and that every child is different! Pressure wont help.
    Princess_s21

Answer by Princess_s21 at 12:50 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree he is two and listening skills are still in the developmental stages. The best thing to do is to have patience and be consistent. At his age you don't want to be too drastic about punishment and you want to keep your calm no matter the situation, which is truely tough but really gets results. At his age, he is looking/trying to get a big reaction to his choices. Only give big reactions to positive accomplishments, when he does something wrong simply give warnings. What I have found works best is to start with a polite warning, then give a more stern, if that doesn't work I use the counting technique. For the counting, I start out by stating the consequence and then saying that if I get to 1 then it will happen. Whether it be a couple minutes in the corner or a nap for worse cases, whatever you choose but make sure you do not yell because a child's reaction to emotions is based on how they see a parent react.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2010