Do you look down on....

families who have many children and are on public assistance? This goes along with a previous question I asked. I have 6 kids, haven't been on public assistance, but really need it now.

I just know I have thought before that it was trashy to have a large family and be on PA, and now I am worried that if I get PA that everyone will bash me that I know. I live in a small town, and I KNOW it will get out, but we really do need the assistance. So, what are your opinions on families who use PA? Do you judge them? Would you make a remark if a mom and 6 young kids were in a grocery store using food stamps?

Just looking for some honest answers. Probably going to apply for PA anyhow, but just want to be prepared. :(

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:51 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I would never in a million years make a remark to anyone for using public assistance. I remember I felt embarrassed using my WIC coupons sometimes; we live in a really small town too. But providing for your kids is way more important than feeling embarrassed, so you gotta get over it! YOU know you didn't have all those kids just to get welfare, and YOU know you will only use it until you get back on your feet. Hold your head high, mama.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 12:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think it would be "trashy" to abuse the system or live off of PA, but it is there to help the people who need it. If you need it now, you shouldn't care what others think, not when it comes to your childrens' needs. Not to be rude, but I believe in Karma and maybe now you can look back on those families that you thought were "trashy" and realize that maybe they were in a bad spot in their life, financial wise, and just needed the help, much like you are now. :)
    young-not-dumb

Answer by young-not-dumb at 12:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• people are judegmental no matter what you do and it is worse in a small town...in my small little town, if you used food stamps with 6 kids it would be a rumor the next day that you didn't know who the father was and they all have different fathers..Don't worry about what people are going to think and say..you can only control your world not what the others are going to think,say or do.
    togo90210

Answer by togo90210 at 12:55 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If you need assistance to put food on the table for your babies, dont think twice. Your babies come before all the rude comments and all the accusations. God bless and good luck
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• hell no my titi got 5 kids and gets all the help she can get...nothing shameful or reason to be looked down on...you never know when YOU might need it...and with this economy one day you good one day your position is terminated...so no way i ever look down on anyone...BTW i am not God to judge...this is what i teach my kids why would i do what i tell them not to do...

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 12:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I dont even notice who in line at a grocery store uses food stamps. Its like a debit card I do notice when people use wic, but no I dont judge them and I only get "upset" if they are using all their checks at one time because it takes up so much time, i think...cant they go at less of a peek time? But it doesnt ruin my day or anything. I dont go running and telling everyone I know.
    HOWEVER!! I work fast food, I usaly do the drive threw...and it totally upsets me when people pay with their Unemployment card! Im like really...seriously, your using unemployment benifits to go to a fast food joint, when you should be using that money on "real food" or things you need around the house like TP or something?? I was getting unemployment for a while and I used my benifits on stuff like that, stuff for the house, stuff we needed, not luxury things like fast food. But again, its just in that moment, I get over it.
    Shani527

Answer by Shani527 at 12:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't really care. If you need it, use it!
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 12:59 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i try not to look down on myself. besides, who cares what people think. so we are going through some hard times, should my child really go hungry?
    jennifer588

Answer by jennifer588 at 1:00 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• people will find a reason to judge you no matter what. just you worry about taking care of your family, that's all that matter, not people's opinions. if you haven't learned that lesson, make sure your 6 kids do.
    keisha613

Answer by keisha613 at 1:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I feel very fortunate that I don't need PA! I never judge anybody who needs assistance(big family or small) because I'm wise enough to know that I could be in their shoes tommorrow. It would just take a job loss for us.
    Hope everything gets better for you! Good luck!
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 1:13 AM on Sep. 22, 2010