Any Suggestions?

I have been applying for daycare postions for two months now and have yet to recieve any hits yet. Although I have three years of management experience, I clearly state in my cover letter that I want to make this my career. And that also I will be attending school in the spring specifically for this. So how is it possible that I can't get a job that pays a little over min wage? Anyone have any suggestions?

MsHouseWife

Asked by MsHouseWife at 1:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Money & Work

• I'm sorry, I don't have any good advice but I just want to wish you the best of luck. Keep your chin up! I know how frustrating it is...my DH is an experienced restaurant manager but he has been unable to find any work whatsoever for...well, a long time. :-P It'll happen when it's meant to happen!
    aliceryannesmom

Answer by aliceryannesmom at 1:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I swear I just answered this question, guess i didnt hit the post answer button,,,lol,,,I worked in daycare. I made minimum wage. State required 13 kids in my class, (age 3) the daycare facility pushed it up to 18 kids in my class. That was a long time ago, but still. Unless you get some college courses under your belt, expect minimum wage. There are lots of places to go in the daycare industry, explore your options, but you have to do something extra in order to demand more money. Have you checked into becoming a licenses in home daycare provider?
    beyondhopes

Answer by beyondhopes at 1:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's the economy we live in. There is a lot of competition for open jobs. Have you tried calling to follow up on the resumes you've sent? Also, you might want to consider starting a profile on LinkedIn and networking with people in your chosen field.
    HotMama330

Answer by HotMama330 at 12:13 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It depends on the daycare. Some will offer just above min. wage.Once you're hired they give small raises each yr.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 4:12 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• start your business. Why wait around for someone else to hire you? Hire yourself! Jordan Essentials is always looking for new entrepreneurs. Minimal investment to start.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's not really about the money. I would be willing to get paid less just to get my foot in the door because this is what I want to do. I just don't see how I can't even get a call back or an interview and these positions still aren't filled. I guess I am just frustrated and a little discouraged.
    MsHouseWife

Comment by MsHouseWife (original poster) at 11:50 AM on Sep. 22, 2010