2yr old, dicipline advice....

Im completely at my wits end, i have a 2 1/2 year old and a almost 6 month old, my 2 yr old is talking but not talking, i tell him no and he does it anyways, so i try to punish him by time out, making him sit on the steps for 2 min, then he goes right on to the next thing, so ive tried spanking him today, and i feel like the worst mother in the world, today i spanked him and sat him on the steps, and i dont know if he was just really upset or if spanked him too hard idk, but he held his breath and passed out or either threw his self on the floor which i find hard to believe cause he busted his lip, i dont know what else to do, i cant sleep cause im crying, i dont know what else to do.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• You are not a bad mom for spanking your 2 yr old. I have a 2 1/2 yr old and a 1 1/2 yr old and the oldest doesnot listen worth anything. What we do is we pop his behind and sit him in time out. Yes he cries and throws his fit but sometimes you have to put your foot down and dicipline. My youngest holds his breath until he passes out and it's a phase that he's gonna have to get over . Spanking your child is not bad, but letting your children run over you and not listening is. So do what you have to do and put your foot down. Just tell your child like I tell mine " mommy loves you very much and I don't like spanking you but you have to listen. Mommy and daddy tell you not to do certain things so you or brother don't get hurt. I love you very much so give me a hug and kiss. You still have to sit in timeout for 5 minutes. If you get up you have to sit here longer."
    michaelsmom08

Answer by michaelsmom08 at 2:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You should feel like a bad mother. I hope that makes you not spank him anymore. Spanking doesn't work and you can't expect your kid to understand not to do something after one time of being told no. I takes consistency. You have to be patient.
    SaraP1989

Answer by SaraP1989 at 2:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Spanking your child does not make you a bad mother, despite what a lot of people believe. If you give him a swat on the bottom to get his attention and then place him in time out he's not going to be scarred for life. What I strongly suggest is finding out what motivates your child. For example, my Gannon is 2 1/2 and has a sweet tooth. If he does as I ask him and behaves well, he gets a fruit snack, a Skittle, or an M&M. Not a pack- just one individual piece. He gets one warning, "If you don't behave, you don't get a *fill in the blank*." Because he loves fruit snacks, M&Ms and Skittles so much, he usually corrects himself. If he doesn't, it's usually because he's hungry or tired. That's where making sure his schedule isn't interrupted too much comes in. See if his behavior is different when his schedule is off. Sometimes he may just need some extra attention. And sometimes he may just be having a crappy day/moody. Good luck!
    Arwynne

Answer by Arwynne at 4:59 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• an occassional swat on the bum doesn't make you a bad mom. it's not like you beat the kid or anything.
    kids that age often hold their breath and make themselves pass out. and they often fall and bust open a lip or bruise their head as a result. your l/o was just throwing a tantrum, as little ones do. just be patient and let him have his cry.
    AngryBob

Answer by AngryBob at 6:20 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I was having the same issue. my daycare provider told me that when he is not listening to you . Take away what he is playing with and tell him in till you do this you can NOT have it back. My son listens much better!
    Mrs.Ro

Answer by Mrs.Ro at 1:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well it sounds like you know that you went overboard so just take this as a great big LESSON and learn from it. Come up with some ideas on what to do next time you feel at your wits' end and if you lose your temper again I would ask for help. A child that young doesn't deserve that but at least you know it. It will be okay.
    stepmom929

Answer by stepmom929 at 5:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010