How much work is having a dog?

NicolesMommy

Asked by NicolesMommy at 2:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Pets

• It definitely depends on the breed. It also depends on if its an adult or puppy, indoors or out, has more than one person caring for it and if your schedule is busy. I think the garage is the best place for a dog. You don't have to worry about fur all over your house, you don't have to worry about it being too cold or hot, you don't have to worry about some neighbor being mean, you don't have to worry about animal control and you don't have to worry about taking the dog outside for the bathroom as long as he has a long enough cord to reach the yard but not long enough that he can get in trouble. Some excellent breeds are golden retrievers, collies, labs and beagles. All are very child friendly and smart.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 2:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's like having another child. A lot of work in my opinion.
    theutilitarian

Answer by theutilitarian at 2:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• LOTS JUST LIKE A KID BUT THIS KID WILL CHEW UP EVERYTHING
    LoVe4Free

Answer by LoVe4Free at 2:42 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have a basset and she is mostly as sweet as she looks, but I tell you what! If she didn't have those chocolate brown eyes it woulda been "see ya, Sweetie" from the get-go! I liken having her to a cross between another child, DH/SO/X-DH/X-SO.....They whine and beg only ALL the time for things they can't have and will never get, they take EVERYTHING that's yours, they talk on and on about NOTHING, dinner better be what they want without having to go through the trouble of TELLING you what they want and they lick you in the face immediately following licking their butt (YES, every guy I have EVER known grabs himself at some point or another to "re-arrange it",) and they leave their crap all over the place fully expecting YOU to pick it up!
    Babylove76

Answer by Babylove76 at 2:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• IT VERY HARD TO HAVE A DOG. i WORK A FULL TIME JOB . AND I HAVE MY DAD TAKE CARE OF HER WHEN I AM AT WORK, THEN WHEN I GET HOME I TAKE HER FOR A LONG WALK. AFTER I HAVE WALK ALL DAY AT MY JOB. IT LIKE TAKE CARE OF A CHILD.
    zynlee

Answer by zynlee at 2:30 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• like a child, i got a pup once omg had to give it away, he chewed up most of my heels n my df chargers, u need to be n them as if u were getting after a kid.
    gabby06

Answer by gabby06 at 2:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree dogs are just like having another child, alot of work but great for helping to teach responsibility. If you are considering getting a dog, research different breeds so you can at least somewhat have an idea on how the dog may react. This is to help make sure you have the means of taking care of the animal, like for example, some breeds are more hyper active and need room to run around and are more of a dog that should be able to get outside alot.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 3:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It depends on where you live I think if you have a large yard they can play in and burn energy then it is a lot easier than somewhere you have to be with them everytime they go out, and you have to exercise them, feeding and attention is easy.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just as much work as having a toddler
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well as far as having a puppy, just imagine a mobile toddler that runs around your house all day with no diaper on and chews everything. As for some dogs, some breeds mellow with age, some stay hyper and active, just have to do your reserch.
    fatcat0908

Answer by fatcat0908 at 9:42 AM on Sep. 22, 2010