Zyrtec

Ok, so fall allergies are in full swing. I was told by my doc to try zyrtec (or the generic brand there of). But, even after taking my dosage, I'm still miserable (because it's 1am and I'm still awake because of misery). Does anybody have any experience with Zyrtec? Is it one of those: if it doesn't work now, it won't ever work? Or is it one of those: you have to take a few doses for a few days before it works?

gnovinger

Asked by gnovinger at 2:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Health

• you should try claratin, it has a different type of allergy medicine than the zyrtec. see claratin doesn't work for me, but zyrtec does. so maybe you are the opposite. with zyrtec, it's a one a day pill, if it doesn't work within an hour of taking it, it might not work for you. try the claratin and see if that helps.
    nickellmomof2

Answer by nickellmomof2 at 2:55 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If it isn't working now then yeah, it's not going to. I take it sometimes because I'm allergic to everything under the sun and it works well for me but Claratin doesn't do squat for me. I think it depends on the person.
    SweetLoveofMine

Answer by SweetLoveofMine at 3:00 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Benadryl works for us./ Tried Zyrtec an Claritin, still had allergies. Someone told me to try FLONAZ, she swears it works for them.
    AdrianaS

Answer by AdrianaS at 3:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• it can take 2 weeks for the zyrtec to build up enough in your system to fully work. Use benedryl
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Neither Zyrtec or Claritin work for me. Nasonex and another nasal spray work best for ME. I have one nasal spray that has steroids and another that is anti-inflammatory. I usually only take the anti-inflammatory (Nasonex) and use the steroidal when it gets really bad. You do have to try different ones. Benedryl does work best, but it knocks me out and makes me groggy all day afterwards.
    mellonhead

Answer by mellonhead at 9:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2010