Does anybody out there know about the steps SRS has to do before putting a child in states custody?

Child in need of care-A SRS social worker came into my sons hospital room and said he needed to talk to me the NEXT day. However, when I left that evening they took my son into protective custody because they said he was left with my fiance. But, I was never told that he couldn't be there! He was there every day for the last FIVE days. I was just wondering if SRS has to at least warn you that until the investigation is over the person they are pointing at can't be there? I read on the website that they were supposed to have me sign a family plan in order to keep my kids from going into protective custody during the investigation....any knowledge about this??

lovebeingamom24

Asked by lovebeingamom24 at 10:48 PM on Oct. 19, 2008 in Politics & Current Events

• Nope they will do a meeting with you (they will schedule it and let you know) and that is when they do the family plan. The meeting usually includes a social worker, drug and alchohol counselor and any one else they think is necessary depending on the circumstances. They will also let you bring someone for support. Good luck it can be VERY difficult to get them back.
    Anonymous

• It's a long story-but I never did this....the worker said he would talk to me the next day and they took him that night at 8:00. I was told to call the social worker and he would know what was happening. I called him the next morning and he had no clue what was going on. He had to make some phone calls and call me back. That's how I found out he was in custody. He said that that is what he was going to talk to me about the next day was the family plan...so the hospital jumped the gun
    lovebeingamom24

Answer by lovebeingamom24 at 10:58 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I don't understand. they took your son because he was with your fiance?
    Anonymous

• I don't think it will be that hard to get them back. At least I hope not... It has been less than a month and I will have completed all the classes they asked of me before my trial. And, they are already thinking about giving me more visitation. I have a malpractice suit going on at the moment. Because he went 24 days with a fracture that wasn't treated because they kept "missing it" on x rays and if they had just fixed it when we were admitted the 1st time I wouldn't have been back the 2nd time...that is what this is all about. Them saying I was there twice in the same month with a leg injury...when it is the leg injury they didn't fix the first time.
    lovebeingamom24

Answer by lovebeingamom24 at 11:02 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Well, without knowing the situation behind the story, I'd say yes, they are within in there rights. I used to babysit my nieces, and one night one of them got sick and they had to take her to the hospital. Well, a dr. walked in the room, looked at her, turned around and said he was calling DCFS. Why? Because she had what they call a 'storkbite' on her forehead and she had pinched her cheecks that day and left little bruises on them. So, DCFS was called, and I was the one being investigated. I could have NO contact what so ever with them until I was cleared. The investigation lasted 2 months...they finally after 2 weeks said I was allowed to see them as long as mom was there.
    LizClara

Answer by LizClara at 11:07 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• I had a daughter that was still our foster daughter at the time, and they could have taken her away from us without any warning. It's a terrible mess to be involved in. I was of course cleared (any idiot could tell she pinched her own cheecks because the bruises were the size of her fingers!) but they don't want ANYONE around the kids that they consider a suspect. I would assume they will tell you he has to move out until the investigation is over if you want a chance at getting them back.
    LizClara

• Yes-they never even talked to my fiance...but they had to point at somebody so they automatically pointed at my fiance. I'm not trying to prove his innocence at trial-I'm proving that it never happened. My son has club feet and has undergone casting his entire life. Maybe getting to walk or about 5 months in 2 years. I found an article about a study that was done regarding club feet casting mimicking child abuse fractures. Hopefully, that will help my case. Because when I took him to a second opinon they found a second fracture that was so old that my fiance wasn't even living with me at the time and was working 2nd shift...I know it has something to do with the casting
    lovebeingamom24

Answer by lovebeingamom24 at 11:08 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Isn't it weird though that we were released the first time...never even questioned though and when I brought him back in they automatically pointed fingers. Makes me think they knew they screwed up and threw me at the state because they know I can't fight the state. And, it doesn't make since. They suspected abuse from day one supposedly, so why did they let my fiance up there for 5 days without any problems? And obviously the social worker didn't think it was that imminent because he could have told me when he was in my room at 3:00 that he couldn't be there...instead he said he would talk to me the next day....
    lovebeingamom24

Answer by lovebeingamom24 at 11:13 PM on Oct. 19, 2008

• Document everything. The hospitals love to keep the drama going. like they want to live GENERAL HOSPITAL or some other soap opera
    mommawombat

Answer by mommawombat at 12:17 AM on Oct. 20, 2008