do you think its wrong to take a baby/ toddler to an r rated movie?

do you think they understand what they are seeing or hearing ?

toybar02

Asked by toybar02 at 4:55 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• Taking them to a movie might be the issue not the rating theaters are very loud and can damage their hearing, once they are about 2 they can understand and you should be more careful about the type of movie.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 4:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Heck ya! Thats sounds like a question my boyfriend would ask one of his friends when trying to make me look like a nag. haha
    prideinbienamom

Answer by prideinbienamom at 5:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Whether they understand or not, the images will be ingrained in their minds. It is totally BAD parenting to take a child of any age into an R rated movie.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:20 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well I guess I am a bad parent then. Both my kids started going to movies early in life, adult and cartoon ones.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Damn...I am a bad parent then. LOL My son's first movie at a month was an "R" rated horror movie....he has gone many times as a baby and toddler. He was 3 and saw, Lake Placid, Blair Witch Project, Star Wars...he loved all but Blair Witch..even at 3 he thought it was stupid and couldn't figure out why it had that name. LOL
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's not that they are going to understand what they see/hear (although any child over a small infant is bound to be affected somewhat), it's pretty rude to the other movie-goers. I can't imagine a small child being able to sit through any movie and not be disruptive.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• at the movies they have a special day for moms with kids to go but its to see r rated movies so thats why i asked i didnt want to leave my baby behind
    toybar02

Comment by toybar02 (original poster) at 8:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yes. Personally I would not take a baby/toddler to the movie, if there was something I wanted to see I would get a baby sitter or wait until the movie was on dvd and rent it. Movies are cold, loud and expensive. It can be very annoying to go to the movies and then have the movie ruined by someone's kid fussing.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 8:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I also want to state something for those of you who seem to thing that small children are going to be loud and disruptive, my children have NEVER been loud and disruptive at a movie when there were other people there. There have been times though when we get the theater all to ourselves because of the time of day we go and we let the kids run crazy then. But they know to sit down and behave if others are there.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 8:09 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I concur with "purpleducky"....my child has NEVER disrupted ANY movie. I took him every few months from a month old. I NEVER had to leave the theater. You wouldn't even have known he was there. SO...I don't think that is a good enough reason to leave my kid at home.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 8:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2010