how old should a child be when they start sleeping in their own bed ?

my friends daughter slept with her until she was 9 yo and still tries to sneak in her moms bed

toybar02

Asked by toybar02 at 4:58 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• It varies if the parents are comfortable with them being in their bed then it is fine, as long as the child has a space that is theirs if they want it then there is no real issue.
    truealaskanmom

Answer by truealaskanmom at 5:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• whenever you both feel comfortable with it.
    prideinbienamom

Answer by prideinbienamom at 5:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We co-slept with our DD until she was 8 months old. A lot of the reason she was in bed with me was because my hubby worked night shift and it was easier for her to be right there next to me. When he got laid off i do move her into her crib and that was only a 3 night process. My step-children were in there mothers bed until my SS was 12 and my SD was 8. My SS lives with us know and who knows she may have my SD back in bed with her and her LO in there also. As long as they have there own space there isn't issue with it.

raemommy

Answer by raemommy at 5:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• From the day they are born. I never let my kids sleep with me. I learned that from a friend. She let her kids sleep with her (she was single). She met a man. Could not spend any bed time, time with the guy cause she could not get her kids to sleep in their own beds. They broke up.

Answer by louise2 at 5:49 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My oldest did from day 1 - DH and I were living in a 1 bedroom apartment when he was born and he had to sleep in the crib (which was set up in the living room!) cause there literally wasn't room for him in our bedroom. He did just fine. So, really, it's your comfort level.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:59 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i believe from day 1 because it is easier for them to transition later and you won't have much of a problem with it later
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 6:32 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• my son was in his own crib since day 1 and transitioned to a bed at 19 months old. We didnt co-sleep, but we did co-nap :)
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 6:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Never, its a bad habit to break i have 3 girls 4 yrs, 2 yrs and 7 months and they have all slept in their own bed since day one. However, if they have a fever or something i will sleep with them in their bed but they never get in mine just to bad of a habit to break once its started. My 7 month old's crib is in our room also that way shes close without actually being in our bed :)
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Sorry just realizied i said NEVER to you question i just meant they should never sleep in bed with their parents
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 9:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2010