Are you living in the most violent city in America? How about the top 10?

Saginaw remains most violent city in America, despite overall crime drop

Saginaw is one of four Michigan cities to crack the nation’s top 10 most violent cities last year.

Camden, N.J., second, and St. Louis, Mo., third, round out the top three most violent cities in the country, while Flint and Detroit — one-time industrial powerhouses, now decaying urban centers — round out the top five; and Pontiac is seventh.

momentofpeace

Asked by momentofpeace at 5:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• http://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw/index.ssf/2010/09/post_75.html
    momentofpeace

Comment by momentofpeace (original poster) at 5:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I lived in Baltimore for two years while they were #2 for murders.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 5:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I live 45 min in each direction from Saginaw, Flint and Detroit. I agree they are violent. I live less then 20 min from Pontiac, which should have also made the list. Go Michigan:(

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Why is Michigan so violent?

.Lovinglife.

Answer by .Lovinglife. at 6:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• no i live in oklahoma it's boring here and nothing interesting happens at all....so little in fact that if there is a chase we bring out the beers and watch...LOL j/k
    meliscool72

Answer by meliscool72 at 6:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Ryansmom I believe they said Pontiac is 7th. Yes I would also like to know why Michigan is so violent. Anyone??

momentofpeace

Comment by momentofpeace (original poster) at 7:00 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Nope! And if the area I live in now started to become increasingly violent, I'd MOVE!!! I don;t understand why people who DON'T feel safe in their communities continue to stay! There are PLENTY of affordable cities and towns around the same state you're in or in other parts of the country to choose from! Staying because of friends and family versus the safety of you and your family is lame, in my opinion.
    LoriKeet

Answer by LoriKeet at 7:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• No I am not.I was born in D.C. and raised just outside of.Yes Saginaw Mich is horrible,I know someone who lives nearby.Camden NJ is also terrible,one of my SILS lived there for a while and we would visit..never without a firearm on hand.Now I live in the sticks of TN and it's quite peaceful other then some meth heads in the mountains..
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 7:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I am not surprised to see that Memphis made the list too.9th place but it is pretty damn bad to even make the list.
    tnmomofive

Answer by tnmomofive at 8:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't, I'm 30 miles east of Cleveland.

Michigan, specifically the areas around Detroit, were hit hard by the recession long before the rest of the country. Automakers and other Industrial companies closed their doors or downsized, creating a lot of unemployment. The poverty rate in those areas is very high; violence often accompanies people in bad conditions. I think that the state government is also partially to blame, they keep implementing programs that just don't work.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 8:03 AM on Sep. 22, 2010