Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

6 Bumps

Can a mans wife have him committed to rehab or a mental institution if she can prove he is a ddict and is mentally unstable?

My husband is unstable mentally and he is a drug addict in denial can I have him committed without his consent?

Answer Question

Asked by srb0578 at 6:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Relationships

Level 2 (8 Credits)
Answers (19)
  • You can but it's not easy. You need to hire a lawyer and go to a judge about having him committed to rehab. Good Luck.


    Answer by RyansMom001 at 6:18 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • yes you can

    Answer by KyliesMom5 at 6:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • yes if you can prove it

    Answer by meliscool72 at 6:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Its not going to be easy, but you could... also if you want to get the ball rolling, call the cops on him. I know it sounds mean, but your local police might be able to help you out. Even if he does end up in jail, hire a lawyer & try to get the judge to order Rehab.... Instead of jail time.

    Although, you have to understand, if they are not willing to get help themselves & do not want the help, then forcing him into rehab or anywhere else might not work. In most cases the user (drinker or drugs) Has to want the help in order for it to stick, for good. Im not saying that it wouldn't help in the begining but he has to want the help.

    best of luck to you, hope everything goes okay.

    Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:35 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • My friend tried to do it, very hard to prove. He was in the hospital also for being mental. Unless he hurts you or the kids that is the only way. She did speak to a lawyer and this is what she was told.

    Answer by Anonymous at 7:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • As one of the other poster's said, you can - you have to have a judge declare him incompetent. If he doesn't want treatment for his addiction though, it's not going to have any lasting affect on him.

    Answer by Scuba at 7:44 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Well, i suppose it is possible but if he does not physically abuse you and so that you have to call the police on him...its not a very easy thing to do. In your case maybe not the best, but just think about it if it was so easy, a lot of husbands and wifes would be admitted by there spouses. Analyze the situation a bit more and maybe talk to somebody from a law enforcement agency to see what has to be done. Good luck!!

    Answer by Ladyblue38 at 8:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • Yes, it is possible. However, first you would have to prove him mentally incompetant in court. Then you could proceed from there.

    Answer by mommy11260 at 8:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

  • I think you may be able to if you can prove he is a danger to himself and others. I am not sure, you would have to call either social services or OMR-office of Mental Retardation in your state to get the facts. Good luck and I hope everything works out for you

    Answer by blackqueen918 at 8:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2010


    It's a long and arduous task, sometimes in some states your Police Departments/Officers can act temporarily as mental health observers and are able to detain until resources can be retained. GL, I doubt however, a drug addiction will get you what you are wanting.


    Answer by jewjewbee at 8:44 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.