Frizz and breaking! Help!

I've always permed my hair every other year. I never really saw the point in doing it more often because I was afraid of damaging my hair. It's always been soft and healthy. I had my hair permed back in November of last year and since then, I've been having trouble with my hair. It's been frizzy ever since the perm came out. Now, it's starting to break. I'd blame it on pulling my hair up, but I haven't had my hair up since March or April and it just now started breaking in the back. I don't have really long hair, just a little past my shoulders. Then again, this is the longest I have ever had it in my life. I usually don't let it get past the tops of my shoulders. I have no idea what is causing it, but I want to fix it. Anyone out there have a clue what to do?

CharliesKrystal

Asked by CharliesKrystal at 7:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Beauty & Style

• It sounds like the perm is the culprit. Too many times people aren't cautious enough and the chemicals blow open the hair shaft which causes frizz and weakness. ( It is usually involving not rinsing thourough enough and putting the 2nd chemical on with the 1st chemical present.) You can not fix it if that is the case, but might be able to strengthen and help the damaged hair. You can try to do alot of deep conditioning treatments with a warm towel. I also suggest a leave in spray conditioner/ restorer- These things will help. Depending on the extent of damage, you may have to wait until the processed hair is cut to have it back to healthy. To help your hair grow faster, keep stimulating the scalp. Rub your hands through hair, massage scalp, anything to increase blood flow as it feeds the hair. It could be worse, in beauty school I saw many nightmares involving chemicals.. :-) Hugs !!
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:39 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I would have to say the only thing you can do is cut off the damage. Frizz and hair breaking off is due to split ends and nothing but trimming it will help.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 7:09 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I love leJane's answer. I don't think you can get more detailed than she did. I'd get it cut though. Sometimes cutting damaged hair is the fastest way to having a healthy head of hair:-) Good Luck!
    shellakers

Answer by shellakers at 12:07 AM on Sep. 24, 2010

• Use a good quality hair mask for deep conditioning.

motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 7:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I use Biolage Conditioning Balm. It is a little pricey, but it works VERY well.
    Sweetpea0916

Answer by Sweetpea0916 at 8:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• bumpHere's a bump for you!

bvannkissy

Answer by bvannkissy at 8:03 PM on Sep. 23, 2010