How can I make him stop digging?

I have a mix breed dog (half pitt and half calahoula hound), named Zing. He's a very smart and great dog. He just has one problem. He likes to dig. I've tried everything to get him to stop. No matter what, he just won't stop. He didn't start until we got on this four acre place we have now. It really wouldn't bother me so much if he would do it out somewhere in the pasture or away from the house. Instead, he does it in my rose garden, under the truck, by the front walk way, or right outside the back door. It's becoming a major issue. I really don't want to put him on a chain when there is four acres for him to run. So I'm curious if anyone might have any ideas that I haven't tried yet?

CharliesKrystal

Asked by CharliesKrystal at 7:11 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Pets

• I have two dogs (terrier and a doxie) that love to dig and after a long time and asking everyone I know-i FINALLY found something that works for us-EVERY time. When they start a hole-put some of their poop in the hole and lightly cover it with dirt. They do not want to touch/dig where their poop is so they stop digging there. It took a while but eventually my guys have stopped altogether-unless they find a mole hole-but then I put poop in the hole-and no more digging. It has worked for me and my mother-we both have terriers that LOVE to dig.
    Carajust

Answer by Carajust at 8:11 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i had an alaskan husky that did that always digging and always got away...its a pain on the butt...good luck with him mama

iNk-FrEaK

Answer by iNk-FrEaK at 7:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If he digs by your house, or buildings, you can lay chicken wire down and it will stop them. I once had a husky that dug huge holes, my yard looked like early grave sites were prepared. :-)
    LeJane

Answer by LeJane at 9:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have used the poop in the hole trick and it does work!
    mommylee21

Answer by mommylee21 at 12:30 PM on Sep. 24, 2010