Whose familiar with Aspartame?

For those of you that don't know, Aspartame is an artificial sweetener used as a sugar substitute. It's found in a lot of the low fat and fat free products we buy. Here's something you probably didn't know about it. When Aspartame hits your stomach acids, it breaks down and mixes becoming formaldehyde. Doesn't sound too appealing does it? I recently read this in a health book I picked up. I didn't believe it and had to do the research. It's true. Now I'm checking to be sure whatever items I'm picking up does not contain formaldehyde. Though it's got me wondering... how many people out there are not aware of this?

CharliesKrystal

Asked by CharliesKrystal at 7:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Diet & Fitness

• ALL diet drinks, sugar free gum, Flinstones and other children's vitamins contain artificial sweetners in them. They are ALL poison to our bodies. Some people are aware and STILL use them. Splenda, sweet and low, phenylallanine(sp?) and phenylketonurics are artificial sweeteners. Crystal light, some capri sun also have them. I look on all packaging of things. It's usuallly in bold. I was told when pregnant with my 3rd to drink regular soda in moderation and that artificial sweeteners was a no no. They break down brain cells in a developing baby.
    jeng1980

Answer by jeng1980 at 7:50 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yes, I was aware. Also, Splenda is made of chlorinated sugar; quite interesting (and sickening) of how it came to market.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 7:30 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't know about all that, but I do know that all of the artificial sweeteners leave a horrible, nasty aftertaste, and that's reason enough for me not to use them if I can help it.
    makelineerror

Answer by makelineerror at 8:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I was not about the formaldehyde.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 7:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Oh my... alright, these are just disgusting as I sit here and drink my coffee with splenda. Hm, I'm wishing I would have read this post after I finished my wake up. What do you guys use instead?
    MommaManning

Answer by MommaManning at 7:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Interesting, I did not know that but I stopped using sugar substitutes a while ago (I never used them a lot anyway). I use regular sugar in moderation, I know a lot of people use "raw sugar" instead of sugar substitutes also.

lilysmom2607

Answer by lilysmom2607 at 7:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• You use real sugar in moderation. LOL

My mom has memory issues and other things if she has Aspartame. Splenda is ok, but, I don't even want to know the truth about it. I eat NO artificial sweetener if I can help it. I'm sure I get it, but, it isn't on purpose.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 7:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I knew it was bad for you, I just didnt know WHY. Thanks for sharing!
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 8:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well according to the book, natural sugar is the best way to go. That means before it's been processed and turned white. Have not yet researched that one, just the part about aspartame. The crystal water flavor packs hold aspartame in it. :(
    CharliesKrystal

Comment by CharliesKrystal (original poster) at 6:17 PM on Sep. 22, 2010