Which is best for the garden?

I love my rose garden and currently have red mulch down to cover around the roses. However, someone recently told me that using the white rocks are better in the gardens because they don't break down to dirt and it helps keep away grass and weeds. I was wondering how true this was and which would truly be better for my garden. Anyone have any input?

CharliesKrystal

Asked by CharliesKrystal at 7:18 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Home & Garden

• Natural mulch or compost is best, IMO. As a pp said, as it breaks down it will add nutrients to your soil for your plants. Mulches & composts will also help to protect your plants' roots by holding in moisture too keep roots cool & guard against drought. Stones won't do that. Also, stones do not keep out weeds better than mulch/compost. If you have a nice thick layer of mulch around your plants, it is more likely to prevent weed growth from underneath because it is harder for weed seeds to work their way down under the mucl. But with stones, there are many gaps and weed seeds find their way down to set roots, so they're harder to get rid of. And, like pps have said, white stones would look very dated.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 9:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Idk, as of right now I dont have either. I just go out & weed my garden... I would like to know also, because we plan on laying something down. (As of right now we dont because I give my roses coffee grounds & egg shells mixed in with potting soil)
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:42 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I like mulch better - as the mulch decays it helps to feed the soil. Unless you use artifical fertilizers, having a source of new nutrients for plants is a good thing. The benefit to the stone is that you don't have to replace them every year - but that doesn't help the plants at all.

As far as keeping out weeds, mulch will work the same as stone.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well if you ask me both will allow weeds eventually. Unless you put down that black garden fabric first eventually weeds will poke through.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 1:52 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'd go for the mulch because it does break down and feeds the ground. Like compost :)

But I would use a natural wood mulch.
    Roadfamily6now

Answer by Roadfamily6now at 4:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well, I'll tell you while the mulch looks pretty for a while ( & you have to keep replacing it) I went to river rock. I think it has allowed me the best of both worlds and it is very easy to pull weeds out of. I like the look around my house and it is quite expensive to begin with you don't have to keep replacing it. I also like the white rock and don't think it's an outdated look although when white gets dirty it just dosen't look as attractive as the river rock.
    I have done the weed fabric I don't care for it it still allows weeds to pop through and that makes pulling weeds harder IMO.
    Whatever you choose make it your own you'll love it!
    Moms_Angels1960

Answer by Moms_Angels1960 at 5:10 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• IMO I wouldn't put white rocks down it looks dated.River stone is fine for pathways and such
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 8:00 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• And I agree with liss05: white stone would look very dated.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Stick with the mulch - roses don't need rocks, they need nutrients.
    tasches

Answer by tasches at 6:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010