Would you rather die in a hospital or at home?

I ask simply because the debate came about in a conversation with family. I was just wondering the input on people out there. Personally I'd rather die at home comfortably in my own bed where family could be comfortable while visiting, rather than to be uncomfortable in a hospital bed and family who stayed in the hospital be uncomfortable and sleepless. So what's your preference?

CharliesKrystal

Asked by CharliesKrystal at 7:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in

• I work in a hospital and believe me you don't want to die in a hospital, die at home in peace. Where you don't have someone coming in the room every few hours to take your vitals or reposition you every hour. To have to have a bath when you just want to lay still and die in peace. A hospital is no place to die. Let your loved one die at home.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 6:19 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• home!
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 7:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think probably at home.
    Codysmom2106

Answer by Codysmom2106 at 7:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i dont want to die period but i guess if i had to choose it would be at home with family holding them for the last time
    toybar02

Answer by toybar02 at 7:29 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• home
    HuntersMom25

Answer by HuntersMom25 at 7:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• home
    liss05

Answer by liss05 at 7:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Honestly, I use to think I would make rather die at home. But after my father in law made that choice, & battled cancer for three years without any meds, & finally passed away at Home, in Nov, would chose to go in a hospital.

Its really hard staying in the same house that someone passed away in for me. I still do not enter the room he stayed in. I can't. Everywhere I look, even though the hostipal bed is gone, the tanks are gone, everything is gone, no matter what we do to that room, (MIL's room) I can't stand it.

I dont want my family to have that trama, & with all of us in the house, giving him care, he still slipped from us alone..... & I can't forgive my self for that. I wouldn't change all the time we were able to spend with him here at the house for the world.... But I know I can't do it to my family...

So I would so to a hositpal.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 7:40 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Hospital. My best friend died of Cancer last March at home. While it was wonderful visiting her there rather than a hospital, it was really hard coordinating hospice, and she could never, ever be alone. Toward the end she wanted to go to the hospital, her fiance wanted her there with him. I can't go through that living room without seeing her as she was. I would rather remember her as she was in life before she got sick. Her son never set foot back in that house, he couldn't do it.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 7:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Definitely home. Yeah it may be more sterile and I'd have quicker response if/when I died, but Home is where the heart is. I'd want my whole family there to say their last goodbyes and to kiss and hug.
    Mrs.Halloween

Answer by Mrs.Halloween at 7:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• At home. My grandmother made the choice to have hospice in home when she passed away. They were wonderful. We were all there with her when her time came. I have never seen anyone go more peacefully than she did, and I think most of this was due to the fact that she was in her home with all the people and things she loved, she was at peace. I don't think she would have ever reached that level of comfort in any hospital setting, and I know none of us family would have.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 8:11 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

Next question in
Would you rather

Next question overall (Food & Drink)
acorn squash for breakfast?