How many years should be between siblings?

HuntersMom25

Asked by HuntersMom25 at 7:50 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in General Parenting

• There is no right answer; there are advantages and disadvantages to having them extremely close in age and/or far apart in age.
    FootballMom85

Answer by FootballMom85 at 7:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• As many as you want or don't want. There is no SHOULD in this answer. There is only what happens or is planned.
    twinsplus2more

Answer by twinsplus2more at 7:53 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think that is something that will vary from family to family-- depending on what the parents decide is the right age between children. Some people like having kids close together, others spread out a bit. I don't think there is a 'right' or 'wrong' age gap.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 7:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We tried and tried and tried to have our second - three miscarriages (one at 17 weeks, one a ruptured ectopic, and one very early on). Because of that, there are 4 years between my boys. I don't think sibling spacing is something we control all that much.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 8:00 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just depends on what works for you and your family. My hubby and I have 3 girls ages 17, 11 and 4... that is just how it worked out for us, it is what it is and we wouldn't have it any other way.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 8:12 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It should be whatever the couple wants or however it works out!
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:12 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• 2-3 years is what I would ideally want but I think "should" is a whole different story since I'm no expert!
    jacksmom3707

Answer by jacksmom3707 at 10:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• That's up to you.
    We have 3 boys....14,6,NB in Oct.
    horsesteelers

Answer by horsesteelers at 2:47 PM on Sep. 22, 2010