Have any of you ladies went into labor early...around 22 weeks or so...and had a sucessful pregnancy?

I am worried for a friend...she is 22 weeks and started contractions.

They put her on Magnesium Sulfate and it slowed and weakened the contractions now. They are irregular. They are sending her home on stricked bedrest and said to come back if they get stronger.

Dr said at some point the Mag. wouldnt work anymore! She has two other boys at home too....so she will be needing lots of help the rest of her pregnancy.

I am just worried for her....can she make it?

mom2twobabes

Asked by mom2twobabes at 8:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Pregnancy

• With my first son, he started coming at 29 weeks.. effaced 80 percent and dilated 2-3. They gave me mag sulfate. That sucked really bad. I threw up everywhere and it was just horrible. BUT supposedly it stopped labor. I was put on hospital bedrest. I went into labor over three more times... until I started losing fluid then they decided if I didn't go into labor by a certain day - they were gonna do an emergency c-section. I didn't want to be cut on if I didn't have to... and since I was already a 4-5 I just wanted to have him naturally. I walked a lot to help the process along. SO it is possible to last... I was in the hospital on bedrest for a month and a half
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 8:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• YES she can make it!!! :o) First of all, she needs to go in as soon as she feels these contractions b/c the sooner they stop them the better. She may be good for another 6 weeks without problems, it all depends. She may not go into pre-term labor again at all. My husband was born at 26 weeks ans is of course just fine.
    AshJoe05

Answer by AshJoe05 at 11:07 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If she follows the doctor's orders, chances are good to at least get the baby more developed. I went into early labor with my pregnancy with twins. They put me on the same medication. Then I couldn't go into labor (which they don't allow you to carry twins all the way to 40 weeks), so they ended up inducing me at 37. I did not go into labor though until I was 30 weeks, so I am not sure if that matters or not. I just remember my doctor telling me that each week the baby can spend in the womb, the more it can develop. I am sure they would not have sent her home if they had some worry. Just make sure she follows orders. If they continue, they may actually make her stay in the hospital the rest of her pregnancy.
    motherof4and2

Answer by motherof4and2 at 8:13 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Did they give her the steriods shots to help develop the lungs? When I was put on MAG - they went ahead with the shots just in case they couldn't stop the labor to try to help my son develop his lungs..
    ajc88

Answer by ajc88 at 8:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I did at 23 weeks. After being checked out, I was sent home on stricked bedrest. After a few weeks, at my next check up, I was taken off bedrest but told to do nothing (no stairs, no walks, basically just sit on my butt and wait...which to me still sounds like bedrest) and I did as I was told. I had a healthy baby girl right on my due date.
    Scribble

Answer by Scribble at 8:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• my friend went into labor with her twins at 23 weeks and delivered at 27weeks. the girls are both 5 now but they did hafta spend about 2months in hospital
    mayo9mommy

Answer by mayo9mommy at 10:51 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• YES she is very very sick....I just dont want her to loose her baby :( Hoping bedrest can give her the weeks she needs!!!
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 8:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Thank you ALL for making me feel better for her! I just wanted to know if it was possible for her to start labor SOOO early and go long enough for her baby to make it and be healthy!

And you guys showed me that! THANK YOU!!!

(and I dont believe they gave her the steroids....but hubby may have left that out of his information, they are so frazzled, I will ask)
    mom2twobabes

Comment by mom2twobabes (original poster) at 1:02 PM on Sep. 22, 2010