Can You Send Homemade Goodies to School?

In our district, we can't send treats to school (for birthdays, class parties) unless they are store bought.

What about yours?

Scuba

Asked by Scuba at 8:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in

• Store bought. & Im okay with that. Its for safety issues. Im all for keeping my child & everyone else child safe, there are too many creeps out there that wouldnt think twice of make some little kids sick.

our school also does it for allergies.
    lilmoosesmom

Answer by lilmoosesmom at 8:20 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Same for ours. That started about 3-4 years ago here, I think for allergy reasons (or so they say). Could be a safety thing too. It also depends on the teacher -- some of my kids have brought home cupcakes that were clearly homemade and said that the birthday kid that day had his mom bring in the cupcakes and the teacher let her pass them out.
    RJNEELEY

Answer by RJNEELEY at 8:17 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Store bought here, too. The reason a lot of schools don't want home made goodies anymore is the same reason parents check their kids candy at Halloween before they eat it. They don't want any nasty surprises in them. Or poison. Or anything else.
    QueenMomma2023

Answer by QueenMomma2023 at 8:18 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• They stopped that year last. I think swine flue was the last straw after food allergies, questionable cleaniness of some people's kitchens and general disruption of the classes.
    LoveMyDog

Answer by LoveMyDog at 8:20 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• OO & everything has to be wrapped by its self, No store bought cup cakes, because they aren't each wrapped.
    lilmoosesmom

• We can send homemade stuff but I've heard of lots where it has to be store bought. I think it's stupid.
    Cindy18

Answer by Cindy18 at 8:21 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• We can send in homemade snacks for B-days & Holidays at my Sons Preschool (I asked the other day actually) but nothing with peanuts or any other nuts.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 8:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Store bought, and I understand why though I wish I could bake for my son's class. It just isn't safe to take that risk anymore and that is so sad.
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 9:51 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Most schools dont allow this because their has been too much danger in schools, but they do let you bring in store bought stuff. Also the schools are trying to be healthier and not have cupcakes and cookies.
    Momabear455

Answer by Momabear455 at 10:03 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I know a lot of schools do this for safety reasons. Our school does not and homemade items are fine. If they are asking to bring in foods, the teacher will specify if there are any allergens that you need to either not send in or label if your item contains them. If there is a peanut allergy, they ask you not to send in peanuts at all, but if it is gluten or dairy you just have to label your dish.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 10:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2010