What did God do during that eternity before he created everything?

If God was all that existed back then, what disturbed the eternal equilibrium and compelled him to create? Was he bored? Was he lonely? God is supposed to be perfect. If something is perfect, it is complete--it needs nothing else. We humans engage in activities because we are pursuing that elusive perfection, because there is disequilibrium caused by a difference between what we are and what we want to be. If God is perfect, there can be no disequilibrium. There is nothing he needs, nothing he desires, and nothing he must or will do. A God who is perfect does nothing except exist. A perfect creator God is impossible.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Good question....and I agree. Those qualities of "want, desire, lonliness, etc" are all human qualities. Not the qualities of a perfect god. When thought of in this light, it illustrates to ME how the idea of a god is manmade.
    sahmamax2

Answer by sahmamax2 at 8:23 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• this is one of those questions that no one can answer. we can guess in a million directions, but we won't know until we know.
    crazy talk, eh?
    maybe he sat around and read the book, 'what to expect when you're expecting humans'.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 8:20 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• "because wanting and desiring are human qualities and humans are imperfect!"

but humans have traits most attribute also to the Divine, like forgiveness and love...those are also human traits but that doesnt make those traits imperfect just b/c we also have them.
    okmanders

Answer by okmanders at 7:29 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I disagree - To start my point I'll talk about eternity, the nature of an eternal state is that there is no before nor an after it is just there, for an eternal there is no time frame. So therefore if there was a God there would have been no 'before' he created the universe, for God everything in our 'time' that happened/has happened/will happen is all happening at the same time because in an eternal world there can be no tomorrow nor a yesterday - for tomorrow implies that there will be a next day where as the perfect infinite state which God is said to be in by most of the world religions would just be one giant recurring loop.

I know I probably didn't make any sense but let me put it another way if there is no end then there can have been no beginning therefore it is just one state - it does not keep plodding on. It's sort of mind boggling and I wish I could have explained it better but I'd have to drag my professor here.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:08 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• "If something is perfect, it is complete--it needs nothing else. "

I don't think it was about need. And I don't agree with the argument that a perfect being must do nothing but "be". Doing is not something that effects perfectness. It doesn't indicate an incompleteness A woodworker or artist may have perfected his art, yet he still creates it... Not out of a need or a desire, but for the art's sake. Why can't we be the art? Why can't we be the masterpiece of a master?

And, if you think about it, to truly be perfect, wouldn't one would probably use one's time in a constructive way? I don't think perfection is idleness, but instead indicates that one would endeavor to bring the things around oneself closer to perfection.... It, IMO, indicates a creative spirit, an artistic way of looking at things, of bringing more and more perfection into the world through one's own perfection and creative efforts...
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have to take issue with Leah's definition of eternity for this reason:  If eternity has no beginning and no end, and there is a sinner who will not repent, therefore making him damned to spending eternity in hell, that eternity would have to have a beginning--the time of his death and/or judgement, right?  Unless, of course, one still contends that time is merely a human concept, and it still stands that eternity is timeless and has no beginning or end.  But that would then mean that the man had no choice whether to spend eternity in either heaven or hell, because, by the definition of eternity, if he spends his eternity in hell, he will have always been in hell. . . oh, my, but this gives me a headache.

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:59 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• The whole point of this post is to say that a perfect supreme, all-knowing deity would never have the need or desire to create ANYTHING.

Says who? What about wanting or desiring makes anyone or anything imperfect?
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 2:59 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well, there's no PROOF that God exists either.
    Why did God, who is perfect, create imperfect beings?
    ~

Then I guess we can not hold Him responsible if He does not exist? Tsk. Tsk.

I like the piano thing. It is really cool. If someone threw a ball and it struck your hands while you were playing the perfect song and you hit the wrong note, are you to blame? Or the person who threw the ball? Would people get mad at you for messing up your perfect song? I would get mad at the person who threw the ball. Satan plays a mean dodgeball I hear these days.
    2tinyhineys

Answer by 2tinyhineys at 5:28 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It is too early to think that deeply, lol! I dont have a good answer for you really, I am still questioning his existence.
    smushy79

Answer by smushy79 at 8:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I have wondered that too. Sometimes I wonder if he had other things he created, and then he decided to create our Earth and solar system. Doesn't mean that before ours was created there was just God up there all alone. So maybe there are other solar systems and worlds he created before ours. In the Bible he said he created Man in his image, maybe there are other beings not created in his image. Just a wild though..lol
    homeschoolin432

Answer by homeschoolin432 at 8:34 AM on Sep. 22, 2010