The Bible is supposedly God's perfect Word?

No two men will ever agree what this perfect word of God is supposed to mean, since much of it is either self- contradictory, or obscured by enigmatic symbols. And yet the perfect God expects us imperfect humans to understand this paradoxical riddle using the imperfect minds with which he has equipped us. Surely the all-wise and all-powerful God would have known that it would have been better to reveal his perfect will directly to each of us, rather than to allow it to be debased and perverted by the imperfect language and botched interpretations of man.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• I don't believe the Bible is the "literal word of God", as many claim. I believe that it serves as Mythos - it reveals a greater message that cannot be contained to literal events in history, but is constantly occurring through history. I believe that there are bits of historical info in it, but that we have to read it in context of what we know from other sources about the history. I believe that the Bible merely offers the various understandings of faith and God of the men who wrote it. Its just looking at God and faith through their eyes, as they see it. Its not infallible, or even absolute. Its merely one perception out of many. And while it may not be something that is absolutely infallible or even literal, I do believe there is much good to be found in it, even if its possible to find that good through other means....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:12 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Man had the free will to change/keep the bible the same as he/she wished. The humans did not keep the bible the same, once God had created the universe it was completely up to man to maintain it - therefore the Bible's imperfections are in no way related to any imperfections of an omnipotent God.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:10 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• "showing unconditional love is sending humans to heaven no matter how much sin they have inside them.:

Well, this is what I believe, lol. That all will return to Him.... ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:13 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• look at as a book from front too back , showing gods unconditonal love for his child even upon death and willing too sacrafice his only child too save others. old testment is the new testment conceled and the new testment is the old testment revealed, all point too what i said.
    KinshipCounts2

Answer by KinshipCounts2 at 9:05 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• "I can only say if you think the God of the bible is love, then we have a VERY different idea of what exactly is it."

I think that all depends on how you read the Bible... ;)
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• IhartU ~ if you think the God of the bible is love, then we have a VERY different idea of what exactly is it. .. IMO, the NT does not fit with the OT and is a poor attempt at taking already existing mythology,.. To say you cannot go to heavenunless you are forgiven of your sins and believe in Jesus is a condition! To say you can't go to heaven unless you believe in me is a condition!

So ... your biggest problem with God, or the Bible, is that the rules are too much trouble, but you don't want to end up in hell because you didn't follow them? Or is it because you, and you alone, are responsible for your choice and life?

>Surely the all-wise and all-powerful God would have known that it would have been better to reveal his perfect will directly to each of us< Better for who?

God is love, but you have to love him back (and unlike a stalker he won't chase after you).

Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 10:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Our fallible interpretation of God's Word doesn't negate the infallibility of it.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 5:06 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Yeah.
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Bible also says men are the masters of the house. I don't see a perfect world being answering to my man.
    Zoeyis

Answer by Zoeyis at 9:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• KinshipCounts2- showing unconditional love is sending humans to heaven no matter how much sin they have inside them. To say you cannot go to heavenunless you are forgiven of your sins and believe in Jesus is a condition! To say you can't go to heaven unless you believe in me is a condition! As for you definition of love- I can only say if you think the God of the bible is love, then we have a VERY different idea of what exactly is it.

IMO, the NT does not fit with the OT and is a poor attempt at taking already existing mythology, adding on to it, twisting and misinterpreting verses on purpose just to validate it's authenticity. The OT can and does exist without the NT but the NT cannot exist without the OT, no can it?

IhartU

Comment by IhartU (original poster) at 9:10 AM on Sep. 22, 2010