So, you say that a being must have freewill to be happy.

If God is omnipotent, then the assumption that freewill is necessary for happiness is false. If God could make it a rule that only beings with freewill may experience happiness, then he could just as easily have made it a rule that only robots may experience happiness.

If we were to allow the necessity of freewill for happiness, God could have created humans with freewill who did not have the ability to choose evil, but to choose between several good options.

God supposedly has freewill, and yet he does not make imperfect decisions. If humans are miniature images of God, our decisions should likewise be perfect. Also, the occupants of heaven, who presumably must have freewill to be happy, will never use that freewill to make imperfect decisions. Why would the originally perfect humans do differently?

Therefore... the presence of imperfections in the universe disproves the supposed perfection of its creator.

IhartU

Asked by IhartU at 8:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• My brain hurts
    Saya

Answer by Saya at 8:56 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't believe its necessary for happiness. But I do believe its necessary in other ways. For example, in order for God to truly have a relationship with us we have to be able to choose whether or not to recognize Him and engage in a relationship with Him. And in order for us to choose to do good in the world, to make positive choices, we also have to have the ability NOT to make those positive choices, even to make negative ones.

And I don't believe that imperfections disprove God's perfection. I think the issue here is the idea of being "miniature versions of God". I don't believe that "in His image" means we're made to be just like Him. He is God for a reason. He is the untouchable standard, the ideal. We are all autonomous. We are responsible for ourselves. I believe we are born pure, but we are able to make whatever choices we will....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:08 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• wow...she went from curious to pissed off in record time this morning.
    Are you an agnostic with questions or an atheist with problems? I dunno......move on with your decision already.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:30 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• So, you say that a being must have freewill to be happy.--

hmmm, no. i can't say i've ever said that, or heard it preached. but if you take the words 'free will' out, and put in 'my own choice to not do what some God commands me to do' to be happy, you'd pretty much describe the universal opinion of non-believers, am i right? haven't we read time and again how one isn't ever going to bow down to some God/god/whatever, because He/She/whatever doesn't deserve it?
    seems to me like free will is there, whether you claim it is God-given or not.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 11:11 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm just sick of the believers busting out the over-used 'free will' cop-out excuse all the time
    --
    If you're confident in your decision, why are you concerned in what other's say? You can't control anyone else's mind. So move on with your life and your decisions already. People are allowed to have their opinions whether they all agree or not.
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't believe that we need free will to be happy. I believe we need free will to be free and to make decisions. Sure a robot can be happy if God so willed it....but he didn't....it's a mystery.....Life is mystery.....and sometimes we cannot stand that we don't get to have all the answers...
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 12:54 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• "God could have created humans with freewill who did not have the ability to choose evil, but to choose between several good options. "

This statement is an oxymoron. You can't give a person free choice if they aren't allowed to choose the wrong choice, and suggestions that there could be several good options is not possible because they would have to contradict each other, and that violates the law of non contradiction.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 2:32 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Also ... God doesn't have free will .... free will is a created thing. God is autonomous.
    Gal51

• IhartU ... If God allows us to make right and wrong decisions, then there is no false impression that there is a right way and wrong way ... that is reality; that is how God made things. You can choose Him, or you can choose any number of wrong ways ... but there are not an infinite number of right ways. That would violate the law of non-contradiction.
    Gal51

Answer by Gal51 at 4:58 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm not saying that. I agree with the post. :)
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 8:36 AM on Sep. 22, 2010