How do you feel after reading this?

Do you really know the people you are hurting? Do you think about the impact of your outspoken opinions?

From a little girl to the world:

Please don't get mad at me when my mommy has to use food stamps and WIC to feed me.
Please don't look at me that way when my mom has to put groceries back because there is not enough money.
Please don't think I am dirty because my mommy gets help to pay our rent.
Please don't think my mommy is lazy, she always gives me a bath and makes my meals and plays with me.
Please help my mommy find a job even though she is diabled, she really wants to work.
Please remember that I need to go to the doctor so my mommy has insurance thru the state, I am so happy to be able to get medicine when I am sick.
Please don't think my mommy is a liar, most of our clothes are nice but they are hand me downs.
Please remember me and that when you look at me and my mommy that way I just want to cry.

Jenna66

Asked by Jenna66 at 8:48 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• It makes me feel horrible because that letter could have came from one of my kids.
    I am disabled and get a small (trust me, small) monthly check... it doesn't cover much and so I also get foodstamps and my kids have medical coverage. If I could go without the assistance, I would in a heartbeat... but if we didn't have it, we wouldn't eat or have clothes to wear.

There is such a bad stigma around government assistance... if you need it, you need it... and people shouldn't make anyone feel bad about it.
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 8:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It makes me sad that this could be so many children, there are a lot of families in dire straights right now. There is no shame in receiving help when you need it, I hope the little girl's mom teaches her that.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:01 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Oh lord, a little dramatic don't you think?
    I think it's a very very small amount of people who might make feelings like this know to someone in anyone of these situations. If mommy is letting the tots read cafe mom then she needs her head examined too.
    To a point most people don't look upon these people hatefully and when they do complain it's because they don't want the system abused not used. If you need help then you need help but hopefully you are trying to better your and your childrens lives while getting that help. Unfortunately there are way to many who aren't.
    itsmesteph11

Answer by itsmesteph11 at 9:02 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• WOW, this makes you think of the way so many people stand in judgement of those who "APPEAR" to be less fortunate, but nowadays there a people who wear business suits who receive food stamps and WIC.

I know that I have been guilty of making comments, giving looks, and feeling like those who "APPEAR" to be better off need to stop being lazy and get a job or stop using the system for a way out. HOWEVER, we do not know people's circumstances and I have to be aware of the fact that one day we too may be on the receiving end with people making those same comments and giving the same looks we used to give.
    MrsJStearns

Answer by MrsJStearns at 9:03 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Just who are you talking to OP?
    Judgement comes in all forms and from all sources in this world, a drama filled post won't change any of that any time soon.
    Opposition to that (PA)comes from people who are tired of the abuse of the system, and the so called government's war on poverty not working. As far as prejudice, it will always exist
    jewjewbee

Answer by jewjewbee at 9:08 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Please don't think my mommy is lazy, she always gives me a bath and makes my meals and plays with me.
    ^^^ That one got me. How many people think anyone on PA is lazy? Just because they(including myself) sdo not work outside the home. Well that would be like telling a SAHM who's husband got a second job she's lazy.
    delilahsmom1177

Answer by delilahsmom1177 at 9:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Sick. However not because of this little girl and her situation - all families have hardships and if this woman is trying this hard then her friends will know it and she should teach her little girl to ignore the outside world.

This post is a wild generalisation. There are hundreds of cases like this but THOUSANDS of cases to the opposite.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think it is sad for people to make comments. Even people who say there are more people who abuse the system then not. Do you really KNOW that for a fact or is that just your opinion based on what you think you observe in PA situations. Nobody really knows any ones situation, and I don't think it is very easy to "cheat" the system, when you apply for PA things you have to show verification of certain items and you get reviewed every 6 months (at least that is how it works here) ( I know because I was denied, but I have no resentment towards people who qualify). Also just because someone is on PA does not mean they do not work, it means that they earn an amount of money that places them below the poverty line, everyone has there own issues, and others should mind there own business.

sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It doesn't make me feel anything. I sounds like something that would be in a chain email. I don't care who is on PA and for what reason, I have issues with the fact that some people blatantly abuse the system and they aren't discouraged from doing so, so the abuse continues without consequences. I don't take the time to see how other people at the grocery store are paying for their food. I don't assume that a child that looks messy is that way because the parents are lazy. Kids are supposed to get messy. As for someone looking at her like she 'is dirty because her mom gets help paying the rent', what is that supposed to mean? How would I know if she is paying rent or not? How would I know if she is on state insurance or not?

I take it back. It makes me feel annoyed that a child (if one actually wrote this) is trying to manipulate the readers into feeling pity or shame.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I feel like someone (not a child) is trying to manipulate me by playing on my emotions.

May-20

Answer by May-20 at 10:19 AM on Sep. 22, 2010