My 9 month old is not interested in nursing anymore. She only nurses when she's super tired, like when she gets up at night and maybe when she's going down to sleep. Should I keep pumping 2x day just to keep my supply going?

kbakeman

Asked by kbakeman at 9:02 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Definitely.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:04 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My daughter gave up nursing at 8 mths. She just nursed Morning and Night. I just had enough for that. Your body will just make enough for what you need to do.
    sta517

Answer by sta517 at 9:13 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• my refused during his ninth month--but i continued to pump and feed via bottle for the rest of the year
    mrsmostafa

Answer by mrsmostafa at 9:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Babies will do that... it is normal. Your body won't stop making milk as long as she does nurse from time to time- no sense in pumping... unless you can get her to drink from a sippy. :-) Then the milk won't go to waste and she can still get what she needs!
    HistoryMamaX3

Answer by HistoryMamaX3 at 9:31 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Tell me about solids.... is she mostly getting them. Because if so, that's the problem. Breastmilk still needs to be at least 3/4 of her diet,. and she should only be getting solids right AFTER nursing. Never before, never separately... right after. If she only takes a little in solids that's fine. Her major source of nutrition remains breastmilk till the first birthday; solids are an afterthought. While they must be nutritious they are not an important source of nutrition.

Same principle for formula babies; bottle first, then solids.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• She is eating solids, but yes, after formula or breastmilk. We tried not giving her food and only offering breastmilk or formula and she drinks about the same amound, which is not very much. She only drinks about 4 oz of milk at a time and sometimes it's a struggle to get her to drink the whole amount. She's a very healthy baby, hitting developmental milestones on time, ect.. Maybe she's just a snacker/sipper.
    kbakeman

Comment by kbakeman (original poster) at 4:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010