How long does a baby have to sleep at night before they are considered "sleeping through the night"?

My little man went down for bed at 7:30 last night and didn't wake up until 4:45 this morning for a bottle. Now I know that wasn't a complete dusk till dawn sleep through... but how many hours of sleep constitutes "sleeping through the night"?

I don't know that he will ever sleep 12+ hours between meals?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 9:22 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I would consider that sleeping through the night I put my 7 month old to bed at 9 and she sleeps til 6:30 and she's been doing that for a while I would just say as long as they are sleeping 6-7 hours in a row thats sleeping through the night....just my opinion tho.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 9:25 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• That to me would be sleeping through the night. :)
    jroseh68

Answer by jroseh68 at 9:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• For me, personally, 7-8 hours was what I considered sleeping through the night.  My middle daughter was doing it at 5 weeks (11pm-7am).  My 2 month old has started sleeping from 8 or 9pm until 3 or 4am.  I consider it sleeping through the night.  Unfortunately he goes to bed way too early, lol.  He just sleeps when he's tired and eats when he's hungry.  I'm hoping he starts staying up later or sleeping longer because waking at 4am sucks when I have to be up in a few hours to get the older kids up for school.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think more than 6 hours.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 9:28 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• i dont know how old your baby is but for an infant 5 or 6 hours is considered 'thru the night' because all of their other naps are probably 2 or 3 hours so if that is their longest sleep and it just happens to happen in night time hours then it is considered their 'night' because most of them dont know the diff between night and day
    mamagee1218

Answer by mamagee1218 at 10:13 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Five hours is considered a "sleep through" Anything more than that shouldn't be expected, even if it is nice if it does. Even adults usually wake at least once in an 8 hour period even if they don't remember doing so.
    amileegirl

Answer by amileegirl at 10:29 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• The clinical definition is five hours. And now that you've published baby's sleep schedule, he WILL change it.

Answer by gdiamante at 1:11 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I counted it when my son slept 9pm to 430am, got up for a bottle and then back to bed until 9 am when he was 6 weeks old. I counted that as sleeping through.
    carsonsmommytam

Answer by carsonsmommytam at 1:12 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I know this is kind of a stupid question for a seasoned mom to ask considering I have two other kids... lol, but I forgot!
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 9:27 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My little man is 6 months old. But he shocks me because he goes to bed when his sisters go to bed, on his own, like a big boy! :) The girls NEVER did that when they were infants! :)
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 10:16 AM on Sep. 22, 2010