Why does God want war?

"Go up, my warriors, against the land of Merathaim and against the people of Pekod. Yes, march against Babylon, the land of rebels, a land that I will judge! Pursue, kill, and completely destroy them, as I have commanded you," says the LORD. "Let the battle cry be heard in the land, a shout of great destruction". (Jeremiah 50:21-22 NLT)

Saya

Asked by Saya at 9:26 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Religious Debate

• Because the book of Jeremiah is in the old testament, meaning when God brought his holy wrath down on the sinners of the earth who refused to repent. It wasn't until the new testament when Jesus was sacrificed to forgive us for all of our sins that this stopped.
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 9:32 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's the same reason why humans want war, greed; for land, resources, women anything the waring group doesn't have but wants.
    isabellalecour

Answer by isabellalecour at 9:35 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Normally wars like those where started over an offence or abunent sin. Jesus himself shows that while god is suppose to be a loving god he is still a god of war. "Think not that I am come to send peace on earth. I came not to send peace, but a sword." Matthew 10:34
    Alanaplus3

Answer by Alanaplus3 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Interesting question. It would seem that God can't quite make up his mind in the Old Testament. He creates the Ten Commandments, among them is "Thou Shall Not Kill", yet he also gives the command to kill. Is he telling his servants to sin, by breaking one of the commandments, when he has said that the sinners will be damned? It doesn't seem very nice, now does it?

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 9:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I don't believe God wants war, and I don't believe that the Bible is the infallible word of God, but was written by man, and therefore will show God ordaining things that He probably didn't command. We still see it today - when Haiti was subject to natural disaster there were those claiming it was God smiting them, when most of us believe that God wasn't responsible. It was common for people to say God wanted them to go to war and that God was on their side - its still done today - but I don't believe it means that God is really in support of war or violence.

I do believe it comes down to the perception of God, though. The way we look at God is evolving, and back then, when the OT was written, He was perceived as a God of war. As we come to better embrace our humanity we see God in a more accurate light....
    bandgeek521

Answer by bandgeek521 at 9:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• He was the sword to cut out sin. It wasn't an act of war, God does not love war or death, but neither would He tolerate the abundant sins of mankind. This is where I start to sound like a nutcase...God is not afraid to smite the followers of Satan. Back then, most of mankind were followers of Satan (i.e. they drank, murdered, raped, etc.) so he took them out. His son, Jesus, was his effort to stop the killing. That being said, MEN not God, like war. Men like the money, the adrenaline and the glory. No one who fights has God on their side because God would not take sides, he loves everyone and would not want war.
    I mean this in the nicest way, so please dont take offense. Almost every scripture in the bible directly relates to another. You can't take one line and not look at the rest. If you do, you can easily misinterpret what God meant (because yes, the bible is God's word, only written through mans hand).
    an-apple-a-day

Answer by an-apple-a-day at 10:06 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It's the people who want war.
    momentofpeace

Answer by momentofpeace at 11:15 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Why do people watch Jersey Shore? I guess it's kinda the same thing - drama is interesting...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:24 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Why do people take things out of context?

Although I am no fan of war or violence- to defend against an enemy is not always a bad thing.
    soyousay

Answer by soyousay at 11:47 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• My personal thoughts/belief..

God does not want war.. Man does. Man uses religion to justify a whole lot of things that have nothing. to do with God or religion.. Just personal gains via whatever means necessary. And for some, one of those means to an end is "religion" and the use of it to gain legitimacy and support..

pixie_trix

Answer by pixie_trix at 12:39 PM on Sep. 22, 2010