How can I get my kids to listen, first time discipline?

My kids don't listen, everything I tell them to do I have to tell them a hundred times, They seem to stay grounded all the time. I take away the computer, mp3, tv, going places it does'nt seem to matter. What other kind of discipline can I use, They are getting at the age now where there is no going back. Any suggestions?

Momabear455

Asked by Momabear455 at 9:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Tweens (9-12)

• I would just tell them that I'm just going to say this once and if you decide you want a punishment after not listening to my first warning then so be it. Then just be prepare for them not listen since they have a history is being punished. Keep doing until it finally sinks in that you mean business. Little by little I think they would start taking you seriously the first time.

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 9:05 PM on Sep. 24, 2010

• I agree with the others, staying consistent is key. At this age I've started to not sweat the small stuff, like chores. We discuss when they will be done and the kids do them at the time or day they given me - if they aren't done then they are not given priveledges at that point and still have to do what I said. It works well for us, I found that expecting things to be done right there at the drop of hate when I say so just doesn't work anymore and makes every one pissy...so we found a better way.
    blessedwboysx3

Answer by blessedwboysx3 at 1:30 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I agree with blessedwboys....Thats what I had to do and it really works. It was hard with two tween step sons. They come in not liking you and when you make them do something that only makes things worse lol..
    Alysa505

Answer by Alysa505 at 5:14 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Stick with it!!!!! If you say No tv then that needs to mean No tv it they go over to turn the tv on then you need to turn it off and send them to their room if there is a tv in their room then take it out until they are no longer grounded. Its hard but you have to set boundaries and stick to it. You need to make sure they know You are the mom and You are in charge.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Well discipline has to be started at the age when they first begin to understand. You have to be serious and be consistent. When they get to be teenagers, trust me, they know what they can get away with, what buttons to push and just how far to go. This is why I tell everyone to start early. They may be cute little things, but boy do they figure out what it takes pretty fast. The only thing I recommend is follow through with your threats. You are the mom, that means you hold all the keys. Take something away, but take it far, far away.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:41 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• It all depends on you...since you didn't say how old your children are, it may be a good idea to get some parenting books to help you...
    mom2mybabes

Answer by mom2mybabes at 12:07 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Thanks for all your input but would still like some more insight .
    Momabear455

Comment by Momabear455 (original poster) at 6:15 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Keep tryin different things. Get creative take lil things like their favorite jeans or shoe or snack.
    mekarevell

Answer by mekarevell at 12:37 AM on Sep. 25, 2010