How do i get my dog potty trained at an apartment?

we live on the second floor, and its makeing potty training really hard. :(

amberherrera

Asked by amberherrera at 9:33 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Pets

• I'd just recommend the crate training method. This is how the American Kennel Associate explains it: http://www.inch.com/~dogs/cratetraining.html
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 9:35 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think crate training is the only way you can do it unless you want to use puppy pads, but those are pretty yucky.
    fatcat0908

Answer by fatcat0908 at 9:37 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I used the crate method
    phoenix231

Answer by phoenix231 at 10:38 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• Crate training combined with a routine of when you take the puppy outside. If on monday you took the puppy out before and after every meal and 2-3 times in between meals, then you need to continue to do that daily until there are no accidents or your puppy is letting you know that it needs to go out.
    ivy102381

Answer by ivy102381 at 3:26 PM on Sep. 22, 2010

• we are crate training, which she is doing fantastic with.she will not go potty in there, which is wonderful! but when she's not, the house is like potty central... we have a potty mat by the front door, in my head to tell her this is where she needs to go if you have to go potty and i'll let you out...is that not goo?
    amberherrera

Comment by amberherrera (original poster) at 10:13 AM on Sep. 23, 2010

• Um.. pee pads tell her it's ok to go potty in the house. With crate training, as SOON as you let her out, put her on her leash, take her to the door and have her sit (or ring a bell you hang from the door). When she does it, praise her and open the door to take her out to go potty. NEVER wait to take her out to go potty after letting her out of the crate. ALWAYS go straight to the door to go potty after her crate is opened. She'll soon associate going to the door to go potty. Get rid of the pee pads.
    HeatherReneeB

Answer by HeatherReneeB at 11:11 PM on Sep. 23, 2010