Cantwo people with different religious beliefs be happy together?

My SO and I have different beliefs. I believe in God anf he believes we came from monkeys... It causes tension between us sometimes, is it possible to be with someone who doesn't share your same religious beliefs?

June_Mama09

Asked by June_Mama09 at 9:43 AM on Sep. 22, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• Do you have children? If you do or when you do have children what beliefs will you teach them? i think that will be the hardest part.
    AWebber212

Answer by AWebber212 at 9:45 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think it is possible however, what might pose to be difficult is what you decide to teach your children.
    sheloveearth

Answer by sheloveearth at 9:46 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• my hubby is athiest and i'm wiccan and we coexist fine. It''s just a matter of respecting the others beliefs and boundaries.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:46 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• If you respect each others beliefs I think it can work (in your situation). I think that there are some devout religions that a difference wouldn't work though.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:46 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• yes we have a 1yr old son, I want to raise him Christian, I guess this is a discussion we must talk about
    June_Mama09

Comment by June_Mama09 (original poster) at 9:50 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• my grandparents married in 1929
    she was catholic
    he was lutheran

not big difference now a days, but back then i am sure it was huge

so yes, if both are respectful of others views and can decide which view point to raise the children
    fiatpax

Answer by fiatpax at 9:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I think an atheist and a Christian get on better than say a Muslim and a Christian would. So yes I think it's possible - however you need to have a serious discussion as to what you will teach your son - surely if he is an atheist he wouldn't mind you raising him Christian as if he believes there is no afterlife then there is no 'harm' in his mind in you teaching your son that.
    leah_rai

Answer by leah_rai at 9:52 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• we aren't raising my child in any particular faith, he will be allowed to choise/ explore what he want's to believe when he gets old enough to do so, i just make sure he gets as much exposure to all kinds as possible. Sometimes it is best to let the child choose when you have parents with 2 faiths.
    wildwiccan83

Answer by wildwiccan83 at 9:54 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• if he doesnt push his belief's on you and you dont push your's on him, there can be peace between the two of you but if you have children, you have to meet in the middle somewhere,
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 9:55 AM on Sep. 22, 2010

• I'm catholic and dh is Jehova witness and we love and respect each other. We both , well him more than me since I haven't been in church forever, teaches the kids about religion. I thought it was going to be hard but it been pretty easily. His family respect me and even the people from the kindom of hall respect me, they come to my house, we talk and everything. Idk if I'm just lucky or that's how it is.
    sweetyazfl

Answer by sweetyazfl at 9:57 AM on Sep. 22, 2010